• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to cook rendang

kwankapang

Beef Rendang

Beef rendang 3.png

Rendang took the top position on the list of 50 most delicious foods in the world, according to the survey by CNN based on 35,000 votes in 2011.

Here is the authentic beef rendang recipe from the birthplace of rendang- Minang, Indonesia.  This is my recipe and  would like to know what you think:

Beef Rendang Recipe (Rendang Minang)

Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Indonesian
Prep time:  20 mins
Cook time:  4 hours
Total time:  4 hours 20 mins
Serves: 4

Ingredients
1 kg of beef Beef
600ml of coconut milk
100ml of vegetable oil

(A)Seasoning (blend):
4 candlenuts
12 cloves of garlic
300 g of red chili
250g of onions
50g of ginger
50g of galangal
50g of turmeric
1½ tsp of coriander
1 tbsp (15g) of salt
1 tsp of sugar
4 green cardamom
11/2 tsp of cumin
10 cloves

(B)Seasonings and Spices:
4 stalks of bashed lemongrass
3 kaffir lime leaves
1 keping assam keping
2 turmeric leaves, tied up

Instructions

1. Dice the beef to 2 cm squares. Do not cut the meat too small so that when cooked the meat does not break into smaller pieces.

2. Place the diced beef in a colander to drain the excess water. Let it dry and set aside.

3. Blend all the ingredients in (A), set the blend aside.

4. Remove the green part and the outer layer of the lemongrass. Use only the white portion of the lemongrass. and bash it so that it can easily release the flavor.

5. Heat up the oil, saute the spice paste (A) on low heat until it becomes aromatic.

6. Add the coconut milk and spices (B).

7. Add the beef and cook on medium heat.

8. Stir continuously over low heat until the oil is separated from the spice mixture.

9. Cook on low heat for about 4 hours until the beef fully absorbs the flavor of the spices and the color turns to dark brown.

10. Serve this delicious authentic Minang rendang with steamed rice. Enjoy.

There are some additional details about the cooking method that you can view it at http://tasteasianfood.com/beef-rendang-recipe/

KP Kwan

• Like 1

My name is KP Kwan. I am a pharmacist turned restaurateur who lives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have worked in my restaurant more than ten years and since year 2012.

I am also a food blogger.  You can read my blog at http://tasteasianfood.com/

I am looking forward to learning and contributing topics about culinary skills in this forum.