• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Donut problem- Not frying right, can't figure out why!

TheStarvingArtist

We're a small local bakery, and are using the same recipe we've used for months and months.
All of a sudden this morning, the doughnuts aren't expanding correctly-- they're puffing "internally", filling their own hole and turning into big, crunchy batter-lumps. They're obscenely oily, and simply not right.
My sous-chef is confident she followed the recipe exactly. The oil-temp is correct.
The only major difference is that *usually* our batter rests overnight, and this batter was fresh-made, but we've definitely used fresh-made batter before with no major problems.

Any ideas as to what's going wrong??

Torrence O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

The first step in trouble shooting is to understand what you're doing.  What's the recipe?  What dispenser are you using for the batter?  How many donuts are you doing in a batch?  What's the oil temp?  Have you tested it after product is in the vat?

Are they browning differently?  With apologies to your sous chef, it sounds like a mistake was made, either a mis-measurement on flour or switching baking powder and soda.  I would give the mystery batter a rest overnight and see if it fries up right tomorrow.  Meanwhile, make another batch that you know is right, and see how that fries without a rest.

Just my uneducated guess is that there was a sub of baking powder for soda. I have never made donuts but have made a similar product where I inadvertently used BP in place of soda and had a similar reaction in the fryer.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Check the fryer oil temp with a probe thermometer, then from this day forward, whenever a cook tells you "I followed the recipe" believe your eyes, not your ears.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.