• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oxtail sous-vide - best times and temperatures

pep.

pep:  that Tail looks delicious

1.6 euro for 100 grams ?

Yes. Not exactly cheap, but great quality and shipping is included (and 10 % VAT as well). (I know both the people doing the webshop and the butcher personally, but even if I didn't, I think online sale of quality meat is a great idea. Unfortunately, the number of butcher shops in Vienna has decreased sharpely during the last twenty years and supermarket beef is ... lacking.)

Im wondering is EB is getting the same type of 'Tail' most of us get.

commercial OT here is from fairly young beef.  perhaps a year to a year and a 1/2 ?

the beef that's in most supermarket cases, just the tail.

maybe EB is getting real 'Ox" or even 'Toro'  ( not the fish ! )

unless you know a very old Ox about to drop dead, youre getting Young Tail.

:biggrin:

I've prepared the dish with both real ox tail (no bull, that is hard to get, usually goes only to restaurants) and with veal tail. Same profile (100 h at 60ºC) worked pretty well with both. Likely with veal tail I could have used a bit shorter time (24 h), but still it was very good.

• Like 1