• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

appleton 250 and chantal comte

dorado

thank you very much edward, i found the homepage.

but so far i still don't know which are the premium and the super-premium rum awards of 2002.

i found an appleton 250 but no information about it. can someone give me more information

about this one-price,age??

i received an offer about a rare CHANTAL COMTE Grand D'ORS age rum from my dealer, but again no further information.i would appreciate any further details on this one too ( age, nummer of bottles produced,

Grand H'ors Age and the price)

thank you!!!

peter

The Appleton is a 250th anniversary rum that is in a special crystal decanter and comes in a special case. I beleive only 6000 of them were produced.

Appleton 250 (picture link)

I am not sure of the age but it is a blend. It is a very expensive rum, on Jamaica in the shop at the Ocho Rios Renaissance resort it was over $300. I couldnt find another example anywhere else in the area. It is quite rare.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Appleton 250th Anniversary is a hand blended rum with the youngest rum being 25 years old and the oldest 5 :biggrin: 0 years old. In England it retails for about £100 .

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

I was with Joy Spense, Master blender for Appleton rums , recently and she told me that her creation, the 250th, actually had rums which exceeded 50 years. There will also be a new 8 year old and a limited editon 50 year old rum being released this year .

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

Now if I can only find a realistically priced bottle in the western hemisphere without having to travel to Jamaica, that would be great :)

I'm a huge fan of their Extra and 21.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

True. It can be a bit pricey but I have it on good authority that Appleton have struck a deal with Jack Daniels, which will involve the using of JD's barrels for ageing and JD's distribution avenues in the States. This should bring the price down slightly .Watch this space.

therumman@btinternet.com

• 1 month later...

"..received an offer about a rare CHANTAL COMTE Grand D'ORS age rum from my dealer, but again no further information.i would appreciate any further details on this one too ( age, nummer of bottles produced,

Grand H'ors Age and the price).."

I think that this is the same rum as you were talking about:

Rhum Vieux de Chantal Comte, Brut de Futs 58%, Hors d'Age Marie Galante.

600 bottles produced, with about 300 remaining as of a month ago. The rum is older than 7 years and about an average of 15 years.

Price is v. high. In the shops about €150 in Europe (after the typical 30% mark-up).

• 2 months later...

I have a couple of the crystal decanter bottles of Appleton 250 special edition, the first of which I reluctantly (given the price!! :shock: ) cracked open last night - everything I had hoped for and more - very smooth with very nice and intruging flavour. I recommend it, especially for fans of other Appleton rums. OK the price is a little crazy, but it's a limited edition (6000 bottles), comes in a beautiful package and is something a little bit special. :smile: