• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

I ran the thermal calculations on equivalent stainless-clad, tin-coated, and uncoated copper cookware.

My Mauviel/Falk/Bougeat clad material measures 2.4mm copper, 0.1mm stainless steel. I assumed the same dimensions for the tin, but the math shows that even a difference of plus or minus 100% in the plating thickness is inconsequential.

The tin-lined laminate is one half of 1% more conductive than the stainless-clad.

An unlined 2.4mm copper pan is 1.6% more conductive.

If you think you notice these differences, I don't want your pans, I want what you're smoking.

paulraphael

paulraphael

deleted because of overcomplicated math/

paulraphael

paulraphael

Here's how to do the math, if you really want to think about the thermal relevance of the lining material.

The thermal conductivity of each metal, in W/(mK) [Watts per meter x degree Kelvin]:

Stainless Steel 16
Tin 67
Copper 401

If we look at similarly constructed pans, with 2.4mm of copper and 0.1mm lining material, we get a total conductivity per pan of:

copper/tin: 0.9691 W/K
copper/ss: 0.964 W/K

unlined copper: 0.9624 W/K

Which is to say, the tin-lined pan will conduct heat 1/2 of 1% faster than the stainless lined pan.

A completely unlined 2.4mm copper pan  conducts 1.6% faster than a stainless lined one.

If you can notice that difference, then you need more mattresses  between yourself and the pea than this princesses does.

My vote is that you're imagining it.

paulraphael

paulraphael

Here's how to do the math, if you really want to think about the thermal relevance of the lining material.

The thermal conductivity of each metal, in W/(mK) [Watts per meter x degree Kelvin]:

Stainless Steel 16
Tin 67
Copper 401

If we look at similarly constructed pans, with 2.4mm of copper and 0.1mm lining material, we get a total conductivity per pan of:

copper/tin: 0.9691 W/K
copper/ss: 0.964 W/K

Which is to say, the tin-lined pan will conduct heat 1/2 of 1% faster than the stainless lined pan.

If you can notice that difference, then you need more mattresses  between yourself and the pea than this princesses does.

My vote is that you're imagining it.