• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If you skim fat off soup, is there any fat left over from emulsion (e.g. Ramen)?

torolover

Huiray,

I'm currently making Serious Eats Tokotsu Ramen.  I put the stock in the fridge, waited for the fat to harden, and then scooped it all off.  The rest of the stock is jello like.

If I reheat 1 cup of stock, and add 3 Tablespoons of fatback, is it safe to assume I only have about 3 tablespoons of fat in my soup?  Or could half of my stock still be fat because it's still in the emulsion. 

I'm looking at it from a calorie perspective.  If indeed there are only 3 tablespoons of fat in my soup, that's not bad at all.  Even if I drink 2 cups of soup that's only 6 Tablespoons of fat.  On the other hand If I know half or more of my soup is fat, then I have to adjust how much and how often I can drink it.

Thanks!

Glad the stock seems to be working for you!  Regarding the fat content - as i mentioned before, I really don't know how much fat is in the milky stock, but I myself would assume that there is likely to be some.  I doubt it would be "half fat", although I might be surprised if someone does an actual chemical analysis of it. :-)  Why not "go for it" and have a nice bowl of ramen with that fat added back in as you propose to do and the hell with it?  (You may exercise tomorrow)  After all, I suspect one would not be eating this for every meal for days on end. :-) 

Glad the stock seems to be working for you!  Regarding the fat content - as i mentioned before, I really don't know how much fat is in the milky stock, but I myself would assume that there is likely to be some.  I doubt it would be "half fat", although I might be surprised if someone does an actual chemical analysis of it. :-)  Why not "go for it" and have a nice bowl of ramen with that fat added back in as you propose to do and the hell with it?  (You may exercise tomorrow)  After all, I suspect one would not be eating this for every meal for days on end. :-) 

That's the problem! I could eat Ramen at least three times a week!  Do you have a good Ramen Recipe?  I have Ivan's Ramen recipe and Serious Eats, but always looking for more!

Thanks!

Edited by torolover (log)

No, not really, sorry...I do this stuff often in a wing-it way.  :-)

Sorry if I'm boring you with questions!  I'm now curious if gelatin is clear and the milkiness color comes from other things from the bones, couldn't I just add gelatin to a pork or chicken stock to give it the mouthful and thick feel?  Then you wouldn't have to boil the bones so long?

Sorry if I'm boring you with questions!  I'm now curious if gelatin is clear and the milkiness color comes from other things from the bones, couldn't I just add gelatin to a pork or chicken stock to give it the mouthful and thick feel?  Then you wouldn't have to boil the bones so long?

Perhaps you might look at this again: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/147367-if-you-skim-fat-off-soup-is-there-any-fat-left-over-from-emulsion-eg-ramen/#entry1957954

Yes, you can add gelatin from a packet to your pork or chicken stock as a "short-cut" but the result may not have the range of other flavoring components derived from preparing the stock from suitable bones.

Remember that boiling the bones gives you that milky (or cloudy, as the case may be) stock with gelatin.  Simmering gives you that (largely) clear stock with gelatin.  In both cases with the use of bones with sufficient connective tissue and collagen.  Bones without any collagen will not give you a stock with appreciable (if any) gelatin.

• 1 year later...

Interesting topic, I came here because of huiray post: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/152191-dinner-2015-part-6/?p=2036338

Anyone tried to make milky stock using pressure cooker? To cut down the boiling time.

I am thinking to make kind of "tori paitan ramen" which is using chicken to make the stock. 

And the ramen soup should be white-milky like tonkotsu ramen.

My plan for the base stock:

- 1 whole old-chicken (in here, this is called "chicken-soup", a whole chicken for making chicken soup).

- 3 liter waters

Cut the whole chicken into pieces

Boil the chicken pieces for about 5 minutes, then rinse clean with tap water

Then pressure cooker on high for 2 hours each time, and repeat as necessary.

:)

Josh71, I can't answer your question – but I will note that Kenji in his Seriouseats article (see in my previous post) said that he used a pressure cooker in trying to do a "short-cut" for making Tonkotsu Ramen stock and was not successful in making one with the desired milky character.

• Like 1