• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are You Still Eating Chickens?

weinoo

There isn't much resistance to salmonella to be had.

As I understand, resistance to salmonella depends on:

"----------------- In otherwise healthy adults, the symptoms are usually mild. Normally, no sepsis occurs, but it can occur exceptionally as a complication in elderly or weakened patients (e.g., those with Hodgkin's disease).

However, infants and young children are much more susceptible to infection, easily achieved by ingesting a small number of bacteria. In infants, contamination through inhalation of bacteria-laden dust is possible. ----------------"

dcarch

It's your usual population who is at risk: infants, children, pregnant women, the elderly, the immunocompromised.

I've had salmonella poisoning. I'd rather go through childbirth. At least I'd have something to show for the suffering.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't eat chicken very often, but when I do I go out of my way to buy high quality kosher chicken or organic. Foster Farms is ubiquitous here in CA supermarkets and I have steered clear of it for years, not that I have based my decision on anything other than intuition and taste. The older I get the less meat and poultry appeal and the fussier I am about where it comes from. By no means am I a fanatic about organic only foods, but I guess my feeling is that if I am going to shop for it, cook it and ingest it I might as well reduce the unknowns and try to maximize the benefits, whether those benefits are from lack of antibiotics or choosing sustainably and humanely produced foods. Unless you are willing to go to the farm and the kill floor to check it out you still won't have any guarantees.

Seconded. I was a vegetarian for several years in my youth and I'm slowly going back there. I've minimized my consumption of animals, eating mostly tofu, cheese, fish. I don't eat meat in restaurants and I only buy it from the farmer's market and only about once a month or so.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.