• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

Additional comments

Just thinking out loud here, not saying I've tried every thought I murmur here...

For starters...nasi ulam. Leave the udang kering in, leave out extra salt.

ETA: Or even a basic nasi kerabu, leaving out the salty stuff and/or reducing the salt in the already-low-salt accompaniments...(one recipe). P.s. you can get bunga telang from Amazon even.

Take a trip to Chinatown, get some really fresh shrimp (like, swimming in the tanks) and really fresh fish (again, like swimming in the tanks). Then do it Cantonese-style, simple steaming w/ ginger & scallions, maybe a splash of good (saltless) Shaohsing wine – the freshness and innate taste of the fish or shrimp may be all you need...  Or pan-fry the shrimp (in shell) w/ ginger & scallions & ground pepper, very hot pan...again, the freshness and clarity and the mild seasoning should speak for itself. Or fry the fish - crispy-like --- its flavor would have its own punch. Or ikan bakar/ikan goreng w/ more turmeric & spices, skip or reduce any NaCl...

Use dashi - made with good kombu/konbu - in Japanese-style cooking, using fresh ingredients; again the innate taste of the ingredients may be satisfactory without any extra NaCl.  

Look for Nyonya dishes where you can scale back or eliminate the NaCl but retain the punch of the seasonings with or without coconut milk.

(Pure Malay dishes might be harder without a touch of salt; but since you don't need to entirely eliminate NaCl - just reduce it to less than 2 g per day - simply scaling back the amount of salt in these dishes, which often don't use that much to start with, may be all that is needed. I guess using belacan would be problematic as *that* is very salty - but a little bit goes a LONG way with this stuff...)

(Think about your days in M'sia...extrapolate your observations regarding "Indian" food, in this respect, towards SE Asian food?)

Yes, sure, having the salt there might make it better, but leaving it out in some kinds of dishes and looking to the innate or other flavors may be fine if not optimal for some people?

huiray

huiray

Just thinking out loud here, not saying I've tried every thought I murmur here...

ETA: Or even a basic nasi kerabu, leaving out the salty stuff and/or reducing the salt in the already-low-salt accompaniments...(one recipe). P.s. you can get bunga telang from Amazon even.

Take a trip to Chinatown, get some really fresh shrimp (like, swimming in the tanks) and really fresh fish (again, like swimming in the tanks). Then do it Cantonese-style, simple steaming w/ ginger & scallions, maybe a splash of good (saltless) Shaohsing wine – the freshness and innate taste of the fish or shrimp may be all you need...  Or pan-fry the shrimp (in shell) w/ ginger & scallions & ground pepper, very hot pan...again, the freshness and clarity and the mild seasoning should speak for itself. Or fry the fish - crispy-like --- its flavor would have its own punch. Or ikan bakar/ikan goreng w/ more turmeric & spices, skip or reduce any NaCl...

Use dashi - made with good kombu/kombu - in Japanese-style cooking, using fresh ingredients; again the innate taste of the ingredients may be satisfactory without any extra NaCl.  

Look for Nyonya dishes where you can scale back or eliminate the NaCl but retain the punch of the seasonings with or without coconut milk. (pure Malay dishes might be harder without a touch of salt) (I guess using belacan would be very problematic)

(Think about your days in M'sia...extrapolate your observations regarding "Indian" food, in this respect, towards SE Asian food?)

Yes, sure, having the salt there might make it better, but leaving it out in some kinds of dishes and looking to the innate or other flavors may be fine if not optimal for some people?

huiray

huiray

ETA: Or even a basic nasi kerabu, leaving out the salty stuff and/or reducing the salt in the already-low-salt accompaniments...(example recipe). P.s. you can get bunga telang from Amazon even.

Use dashi - made with good kombu/kombu - in Japanese-style cooking, using fresh ingredients; again the innate taste of the ingredients may be satisfactory without any extra NaCl.  

Look for Nyonya dishes where you can scale back or eliminate the NaCl but retain the punch of the seasonings with or without coconut milk. (pure Malay dishes might be harder without a touch of salt) (I guess using belacan would be very problematic)

huiray

huiray

huiray

huiray

Take a trip to Chinatown, get some really fresh shrimp (like, swimming in the tanks) and really fresh fish (again, like swimming in the tanks). Then do it Cantonese-style, simple steaming w/ ginger & scallions, maybe a splash of good (saltless) Shaohsing wine – the freshness and innate taste of the fish or shrimp may be all you need...  Or pan-fry the shrimp (in shell) w/ ginger & scallions & ground pepper, very hot pan...again, the freshness and clarity and the mild seasoning should speak for itself. Or fry the fish - crispy-like --- its flavor would have its own punch. Or ikan bakar w/ more turmeric & spices, skip or reduce any NaCl...