• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 3/21/2016 at 8:45 AM, Porthos said:

I had to run errands over in Riverside Friday and decided to go some thrift stores in the area. I found this Dexter S29114 knife, which I assume is a cheese slicing knife, for $3.00. Cheese slicing in my ren faire kitchen will be its intended use.

Dexter_S29114.thumb.jpg.5fc44025fee47170

I have a technical question about sharpening. I sharpen all of the knives for my ren faire kitchen to an 18/18 degree angle. For some reason that seems like it might be a bit more acute than it should be for cheese slicing. Does 18/18 make sense or should I go 21/21 or something else? This knife will be used by volunteers, not professional cooks.

I've got a vintage cheese knife made by dexter and the handles are at each end and the blade is thinner and straight though some were slightly curved, they are still very thin.

Yours looks like an old "50s pizza cutter.  We had one at my mom's bakery and used it for cutting big round galettes - 12" diameter.

This is cheese knife.

56f1da9c01efa_ScreenShot2016-03-22at4.48

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 3/21/2016 at 8:45 AM, Porthos said:

I had to run errands over in Riverside Friday and decided to go some thrift stores in the area. I found this Dexter S29114 knife, which I assume is a cheese slicing knife, for $3.00. Cheese slicing in my ren faire kitchen will be its intended use.

Dexter_S29114.thumb.jpg.5fc44025fee47170

I have a technical question about sharpening. I sharpen all of the knives for my ren faire kitchen to an 18/18 degree angle. For some reason that seems like it might be a bit more acute than it should be for cheese slicing. Does 18/18 make sense or should I go 21/21 or something else? This knife will be used by volunteers, not professional cooks.

I've got a vintage cheese knife made by dexter and the handles are at each end and the blade is thinner and straight though some were slightly curved, they are still very thin.

This is an old "50s pizza cutter.  We had one at my mom's bakery and used it for cutting big round galettes - 12" diameter.

This is cheese knife.

56f1da9c01efa_ScreenShot2016-03-22at4.48