• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

ive had real wasabi twice.

grated from the rhizome at the table .

its flavor is very interesting , and changes in a few minutes  , 2 - 3 

from the grated amount .  in 2 -3 minutes its still interesting  , but not the same as the first tastes.

its expensive to manufacture ,as it grows in a ' pond like ' aquaculture  it seems 

like lilly pads .  and the environment is tightly controlled it seems .

trying to extract every dollar , Im guessing that there is dried powdered leaf and stem.

never tasted those fresh

but based on what i tasted , and how it changed in minutes 

my guess is that dried powdered genuine rhizome  is also going to be different 

from freshly grated .

thus the expense of getting fresh rhizome  

vs powdered  rhizome , leaf and stem.

let us know where you buy the fresh rhizome 

consider taking some pics of what you get 

and  what you freshly grate 

if you get some powdered , please also describe the various kinds and 

their taste differenced .

you might be the only one on eG  with that information .

also , when you share w your guests , what do they say about the fresh stuff ?

I'm just starting my investigation into how wasabi is grown here in the US and Canada.  Thus far, and in part with suggestions here, I've found five US and Canadian growers, one of which is a short drive south of me.  It's an easy day trip and the farm is located in a scenic area with some nice restaurants and other amenities.

I'm starting to read some articles and blog posts to get a better understanding of how wasabi is cultivated and what to look for and consider when buying and using wasabi, including, perhaps, uses and recipes beyond just as an accompaniment to raw fish.  After reading  these articles, I'd like to drive down to purchase some rhizomes, leaves, and stems, and start experimenting a bit.  At this point I don't even know if such a visit would be acceptable to the growers but that should be easy to find out.

https://californiagrown.org/blog/learn-how-real-wasabi-is-grown/

Shel_B

Shel_B

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

ive had real wasabi twice.

grated from the rhizome at the table .

its flavor is very interesting , and changes in a few minutes  , 2 - 3 

from the grated amount .  in 2 -3 minutes its still interesting  , but not the same as the first tastes.

its expensive to manufacture ,as it grows in a ' pond like ' aquaculture  it seems 

like lilly pads .  and the environment is tightly controlled it seems .

trying to extract every dollar , Im guessing that there is dried powdered leaf and stem.

never tasted those fresh

but based on what i tasted , and how it changed in minutes 

my guess is that dried powdered genuine rhizome  is also going to be different 

from freshly grated .

thus the expense of getting fresh rhizome  

vs powdered  rhizome , leaf and stem.

let us know where you buy the fresh rhizome 

consider taking some pics of what you get 

and  what you freshly grate 

if you get some powdered , please also describe the various kinds and 

their taste differenced .

you might be the only one on eG  with that information .

also , when you share w your guests , what do they say about the fresh stuff ?

I'm just starting my investigation, so to speak, of wasabi grown here in the US and Canada.  Thus far, and in part with suggestions here, I've found five US and Canadian growers, one of which is a short drive south of me.  It's an easy day trip and the farm is located in a scenic area with some nice restaurants and other amenities.

I'm starting to read some articles and blog posts to get a better understanding of how wasabi is cultivated and what to look for and consider when buying and using wasabi, including, perhaps, uses and recipes beyond just as an accompaniment to raw fish.  After reading  these articles, I'd like to drive down to purchase some rhizomes, leaves, and stems, and start experimenting a bit.  At this point I don't even know if such a visit would be acceptable to the growers but that should be easy to find out.

https://californiagrown.org/blog/learn-how-real-wasabi-is-grown/