• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wok Cooking Over a Chimney Starter?

TheTInCook

Just finished round two, with two dishes. Ma Po Tofu and a lackluster beef, mushroom, and oyster sauce.

I added a couple of strands of 16 gauge steel wire to hold an air gap when the wok is resting on the top.

The results were much better. The fire was hotter. There was no pooling of juices, but still no big wok hai.

Big problem so far I think is that I don't start the fire early enough, and I don't let the fire get big enough before I start cooking.

For next time, I'm going to adjust the wire so there is a larger air gap, and try elevating the chimney with a couple of bricks to get more air in from the bottom. Might try adding a fan .