• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim Vanus

Jim Vanus

First post on any forum here, so be kind. :)

I've just about given up on Peruvian avocados due to their uneven ripening. I've gotten the same results from Peruvian avocados purchased from either Sam's Club and Costco. When I test them with finger pressure, the same as I do for Mexican avies, they seem ripe but when opened are still hard on the inside. If I wait another day or two after one seems ripe, it's already started rotting towards the outside. We typically lose about 1/3 of a bag due to uneven ripening. We never lose a Mexican avocado to uneven ripening.

Our home temp stays at about 74 degrees F. at countertop level with a humidity level around 50%. 

I've searched the Internet for clues about this problem but there's virtually no info about it. 

Has anyone else experienced ripening difficulties with Peruvian avocados?

Jim Vanus

Jim Vanus

First post on any forum here, so be kind. :)

I've just about given up on Peruvian avocados due to their uneven ripening. I've gotten the same results from Peruvian avocados purchased from either Sam's Club and Costco. When I test them with finger pressure, the same as I do for Mexican avies, they seem ripe but when opened are still hard on the inside. If I wait another day or two after one seems ripe, it's already started rotting towards the outside. We typically lose about 1/3 of a bag due to uneven ripening.

Our home temp stays at about 74 degrees F. at countertop level with a humidity level around 50%. 

I've searched the Internet for clues about this problem but there's virtually no info about it. 

Has anyone else experienced ripening difficulties with Peruvian avocados?