• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

added vital statistics

Bumping this because I came across some wonderful fresh silver ear fungus in a supermarket today.

yiner.jpg

I'm glad to see that the locals are as confused as everyone else by the nomenclature. The typed information gives (correctly) the name as 银耳 (yín ěr) or "silver ear". The hand written sign incorrectly calls them 云耳 (yún ěr) or "cloud ear" which are unrelated and a different colour. See above.

yiner2.jpg

It is about 15cm/ 6 inches in diameter and weighs 190 grams / 6.7 ounces.

I'll be having this later in a soup, I think.

(4.50元/朵 = USD $0.67; €0.61; £0.51/head)

liuzhou

liuzhou

Bumping this because I came across some wonderful fresh silver ear fungus in a supermarket today.

yiner.jpg

I'm glad to see that the locals are as confused as everyone else by the nomenclature. The typed information gives (correctly) the name as 银耳 (yín ěr) or "silver ear". The hand written sign incorrectly calls them 云耳 (yún ěr) or "cloud ear" which are unrelated and a different colour. See above.

yiner2.jpg

I'll be having this later in a soup, I think.

(4.50元/朵 = USD $0.67; €0.61; £0.51/head)