• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

Today is RG Ayocote Morados.  They were soaked overnight in heavily salted water, and are now mostly tender after an hour and a half of a brisk simmer in the clay pot.  There's still a touch of chalkiness, and the broth is too thin for my taste, so I'm lowering the temp and letting them simmer for a bit longer.  I remain startled at how long it's taking others' Ayocotes to cook through.  

The taste, however, is bringing commercial kidney beans to mind, which is in turn generating some PTSD-style terror.  [I, uh, rather dislike red kidney beans and would be thrilled if the variety went extinct and therefore no other child would be subjected to them, ever].  We'll see how it goes as they continue to cook.  I have enfrijoladas on the brain, but I may have to drench everything in an additional sauce of some kind.

SLB

SLB

Today is RG Ayocote Morados.  They were soaked overnight in heavily salted water, and are now mostly tender after an hour and a half of a brisk simmer in the clay pot.  There's still a touch of chalkiness, and the broth is too thin for my taste, so I'm lowering the temp and letting them simmer for a bit longer.  I remain startled at how long it's taking others' Ayocotes to cook through.  

The taste, however, is bringing commercial kidney beans to mind, which is in turn generating some PTSD-style terror.  [I, uh, rather dislike red kidney beans and would be thrilled if the variety went extinct and therefore no other child would be subjected to them, ever].  I have enfrijolada on the brain, but I may have to drench everything in an additional sauce of some kind.

SLB

SLB

The taste, however, is bringing commercial kidney beans to mind, which is in turn generating some PTSD-style terror.  [I, uh, rather dislike red kidney beans and would be thrilled if the variety went extinct].  I have enfrijolada on the brain, but I may have to drench everything in an additional sauce of some kind.