• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

That parching method is fascinating!  I would've imagined that doing so would extend the cooking time, like with the pie weights.  

Soaking has gotten a bad rap, and loses round after round, but still I soak every bean.  I find that they not cook not only more quickly -- I about fell over dead at the report of four hours in the pressure cooker --  but also more evenly.  

On the unspeakable.  I have also heard that eating beans frequently is the antidote, and I definitely find that soaking helps (in fact, this is why I soak the quintessential no-soak bean, the lentil.  Unsoaked lentils cause me serious Problems).  That said -- I eat 'em almost every day, and I continue to be a lady with some Problems.  Not catastrophic problems, to be sure.  But smallish, persistent Problems.   

SLB

SLB

That parching method is fascinating!  I would've imagined that doing so would extend the cooking time, like with the pie weights.  

Soaking has gotten a bad rap, and loses round after round, but still I soak every bean.  I find that they not cook not only more quickly -- four hours in the pressure cooker??? --  but also more evenly.  

On the unspeakable.  I have also heard that eating beans frequently is the antidote, and I definitely find that soaking helps (in fact, this is why I soak the quintessential no-soak bean, the lentil.  Unsoaked lentils cause me serious Problems).  That said -- I eat 'em almost every day, and I continue to be a lady with some Problems.  Not catastrophic problems, to be sure.  But smallish, persistent Problems.   

SLB

SLB

That parching method is fascinating!  I would imagine that doing so would extend the cooking time, like with the pie weights.  

Soaking has gotten a bad rap, and loses round after round, but still I soak every bean.  I find that they not cook not only more quickly -- four hours in the pressure cooker??? --  but also more evenly.