• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tarko

Decorating molds with gold leaf

hi

in the art of the chocolatier by ewald notter there is a section on decorating moulded shapes where he works mainly with large egg shapes. i tried to apply the same tecqhniques to a bonbon mould. basically i am trying to decorate a dome shaped bonbon mould with gold leaf, then coat the mould with red cocoabutter and then shell with white chocolate. the first challenge is to "press" the gold leaf into the mould so that it sticks - i did this using a small brush. then i tried to apply the red cocoabutter with my finger but ended up swirling the cocoabutter around in the mould - managing to cover it on both sides with a thin layer of the cocoabutter. i then tried to apply the butter with a small brush - with the same result. the milliondollar question is - how the heck do i get the gold leaf to stick to the mould so that i can coat it with the cocoabutter without moving the gold around?

any thoughts, tips and tricks are more then welcome:)

/Magnus - happy amateur chocolatier

Make your eggs as per normal, forget all about the gold leaf.

Un-mold.

Gently apply the gold leaf to the finished piece with the finest brush you can find.

I imagine there may be thin coating of coca butter in the mould prior to applying the leaf, to gove it something to stick to (but it is just a guess)

• Similar Content

• By Linh N.
      Hello. Thank you for allowing me to join. I am from the sunny Florida. I just started venturing into the chocolate world and am loving it. I am in awe of all the mold chocolate creations and want to be able to make decent pieces. Beside that I also love making macarons. I hope to learn more from all the experts in here. Thank you
    • By kimmiq
      Hi all, hope your holiday season is going well!!  Any idea why sometimes the defect on the bottom happens?  The one on the top came out of the same batch. Thanks in advance!

• By hvea
      Hello,

I have two questions about using alcohol for cleaning the mold and brush splattering/spraying the metallic dusts.

Some of my potential customers are asking for non alcohol chocolates (not just the ingredient but I also shouldn’t use it at any stage) (i know the alcohol completely evaporates but thats not something I can convince them)

1) I have been taught to use alcohol to clean molds. Is there an alternative for this?

2) I have been checking savour online classes. In one of the lessons (chocolate crunch bar) Kirsten Tibbals mix the dust with the alcohol and then splatter it with brush.

is it possible to use cocoa butter / dust mixture and splatter or spray it? what would be the difference?

Thanks!
    • By pastrygirl
      Anyone have a favorite recipe for chocolate cake using semisweet chocolate?  My usual chocolate cake recipe uses cocoa, but I have some samples of chocolate I want to use up for a workplace party.  Yes, I could make brownies or ganache frosting, or chocolate mousse or chocolate chunk cookies, just feeling like cake this weekend ...
    • By Beckykp27
      I'm trying to make bonbons with milk shells for the first time and I'm struggling. When I melt my milk chocolate it is really thick. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure humidity is not an issue. I'm concerned that my shells wont empty out well and I'll be left with no room for ganache. I tried adding some cocoa butter last time but it affected the flavor. 

Disclaimer: I'm using pretty cheap milk chocolate (Ghirardelli) cuz I'm still learning. If you think this is the only issue please let me know.