• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Brown Rices – Do You Have a Favorite?

weinoo

http://www.massaorganics.com/

We're on our third 20 lb bag.

Today, at the Thursday Berkeley Farmers Market, I came across the stand for Massa Organics, and picked up a 2-lb bag of their rice. Comments here, being so positive, helped push my purchase - that, and concerns about arsenic and heavy metals in imported rice.

We don't eat a lot of rice, so the two pound bag should last a while. Really looking forward to trying it. Thanks to those who mentioned it.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I like Golden Rose brown rice as an "all-around". I am partial to Lundberg rices. I was before the arsenic issue came to the fore and luckily I can still continue. I was thinking of buying a rice cooker, but my new Wolfe cooktop does the job BEAUTIFULLY. On one of the simmer settings it can go totally unwatched. I also make more than I need and freeze.

I am partial to Lundberg rices. I was before the arsenic issue came to the fore and luckily I can still continue [...] I also make more than I need and freeze.

I enjoy the Lundberg rice as well, preferring their organic brown basmati rice. It's been a go-to choice for some years. Like you, I freeze the extra that I make ... put it in big zip lock bags and lay 'em flat in the freezer. The bags don't take up much space that way, and it's easy to break off a chunk for reheating or adding to recipes.

A few days ago I baked a batch of brown rice for the first time ... easy to do and perfect results. I used the Massa organic rice that I heard about here.

... Shel

• 7 months later...

Koda's Kokuho Rose, cooked using their recommended soak, cook, rest, fluff, and rest again method, is the best I've had. The texture is like white rice, but with better flavor and the benefits of a whole grain.

Certified Organic, limited production Kokuho Rose® Brand Rice is an Heirloom, Japanese style medium grain, grown by the Koda family since the 1950s in the San Joaquin Valley in California.

Jim

I just bought a small package of this rice today. Anticipating comparing it to the Massa Organic brown rice I've been eating since reading about it in this thread.

BTW, it was your post above that got me interested in trying this rice, and today I saw it in the Japanese market I sometimes visit for the first time.

... Shel