• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saveloy Sausages

This may seem like an odd topic for a vegetarian to start, but I did use to eat meat and I do also have an almost completely carnivorous (vegetables? what vegetables?) brother!

Saveloys. I live in the South West (just outside of Bristol) and our local chippie does them. My mother has always looked upon them with disdain as some kind of horrendous, red-dyed franken-meat. I must confess, I can no longer remember what they taste like. But as children, they were almost the point of going to the chippie for us kids, and this is a feeling my brother retains to this day.

The trouble is, he lives in Reading now and can't seem to find a chippie that does them! This has led us to ponder a question: Are saveloys a regional thing? Are there towns that haven't heard of them? Are their actually English people who haven't heard of them?! Discuss.

Yes, I think they may be regional. Certainly I think of them as "southern" and our chippies in the north west don't have them.

However, I'll swap you your saveloy for our rag pudding.

John Hartley