• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iberico tenderloin

Paul Bacino

See the pork loin here when I looked the posts were next to each other (Which this post has now destroyed)

The only time I had Iberico de Bellota Pork that was not cured was last year when I was in Spain and was offered pork chops, they told me they would should be cooked medium to medium rare for the best taste (i.e a lot rarer than normal for pork) would I be ok with that. I said yes and they were very good. Not sure about the food safety what with Trichinosis etc and the facts that the pigs run wild before fattening.

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

ChristieO - I've had very good results cooking inexpensive tenderloin sous vide, but that doesn't mean that you can't get something even better using higher-quality ingredients. In particular, in this case I hear that the pork tastes quite different from your standard-issue Hormel, and has a different texture. Just because we can make a choice top round taste good doesn't stop us from eating dry-aged prime ribeye when we've got it, after all!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I'd walk past my SV and go for the Big Green Egg, cook it at low 250-300 with a probe inserted, take out at 130 internal, let rest.

Expensive pork requires wood fire and smoke in my house :laugh:

If you don't have a BGE, maybe you have a smoker? Or a gas bbq that can be set to low temp? It would have to be well sealed to avoid moisture loss.

SV will certainly work, but my (short) experience with that style of cooking has been that cheaper cuts cooked long on low come out much better tasting that more expensive cuts. Last night's filet mignon was great in texture and very nicely med rare, but flavor was very faint. A hanger steak a couple weeks ago on the other hand pretty much screamed BEEEEEEF at you once you took a bite.

Pauls idea of a light smoking first, then SV sounds interesting though, I'd be tempted to play with that. Probably would use a CostCo tenderloin though. My success with pork has been a mixed (vac-sealed) bag via SV so far.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 3 weeks later...

Tossing this idea around.. your thoughts?

I was going to quick sear, then come back and wrap with a serrano ham. couple thin slices of sage inside.. then take to the oven.. cook @ 150 -175 F.

This would allow the ham to crisp and I would hope not dry out the loin. How long would it take @ that temp too?

Ciao

Paul

Its good to have Morels