• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gluey Couscous

Porthos

Up until a couple of weeks ago whenever we wanted couscous we would buy Near East's boxed couscous. We were always pleased with the results. We bought some bulk couscous recently and made it the same way we make the boxed stuff. Both times we have used the bulk stuff we have ended up with a gluey sticky mess instead of nicely defined grains. Prep method is to bring the broth to a boil. Kill the heat and add the couscous. Cover and wait 5 minutes, then fluff the couscous. What do we need to do differently with the bulk couscous?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

When I work with bulk couscous, I almost never go higher than 1.5 parts of liquid to 1 part of couscous, so that might be your problem right there! If I'm going to douse it in olive oil, I've been known to go as low as 1:1, but 1.25:1 seems to be about the sweet spot for the product I get.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I use bulk couscous all the time and it is not the "instant" couscous like that in the boxes and should be cooked (steamed) the traditional way if you want it to turn out nicely.

I don't add it to broth until I have cooked it the way I learned years ago.

I put the dry couscous in a bowl, pour cold water (just enough to cover) over it and allow it to soak for about ten minutes.

I then drain it, oil my hands and toss the couscous until lightly coated with the oil.

Meanwhile I turned the steamer on and when steam starts to come through the holes in the steamer bowl I transfer the couscous by the handful to the bowl until all the holes are covered and sort of mound it into a dome.

DO NOT COVER THE STEAMER.

Steam for twenty minutes, immediately remove the steamer bowl, place on a towel and let it rest for five minutes. Fluff with a fork and place on a serving dish or add to whatever dish you are preparing.

I think Paula Wolfert posted about cooking regular couscous a couple of years ago.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I went back to the store and bought more couscous. The bulk container said to use 1 1/2 cups liquid per cup of couscous. It called for fixing it the way I have been. I checked the back of the box of Near East and it called for 1 1/4 cups of liquid and it contains 1 cup of couscous. I decided to try 1 1/3 cups of stock and 2 Tbls of olive oil. The consistency was what I was looking for. I have passed the new ratio on to my wife.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;