• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with Berkel slicer

nolnacs

Hello everyone - I've been a lurker for a while but finally decided to register and start posting

A while ago I purchased and restored an old Berkel meat slicer (made sometime after 1918). It has worked pretty well so far, but My problem is that I cannot figure out how the sharpener works. I have some cured meats that are about ready (coppa, salami and chorizo) and I would like to be able to use the slicer to get some nice thin slices.

None of the other Berkel slicers I have seen (either online or in restaurants) have this style sharpener, Does anyone here have experience with this kind of sharpener

Philadelphia 006.JPG

As in the picture below, there are three notches in that plate (1, 2 & 3). The top part can swivel and fit into all three notches.

Philadelphia 010.JPG

Then there are three more notches at the top which control the two sharpening stones.

Philadelphia 008.JPG

I've tried a bunch of different combinations but none of them seem to work - the stones don't touch the blade or they would sit on top of it.

Unfortunately, the guy I bought it from is of no use since he just found it in the attic of an old county club on Lake Minnetonka that was being demolished.

Is the device spring loaded?

Most sharpening attachments I've used are spring loaded, and "sharpening" should only be done for about a 10 sec. blast.

Springs (if there are any) might be plugged up with crud, frozen with rust, or who knows. Never worked with a slice frm that long ago.

It is actually is very good condition so rust or stuck springs are not an issue. What it boils down to is that either I am a dunce for not figuring out how it works or that I put it back together wrong when restoring it. :blink:

Here is a quick video I took that might make this easier to understand

I am not sure, but there is a nice YouTube video on the following site (at about a minute in) that shows the sharpener in action. Looks like slightly different model, but maybe helpful. The video from 'ModernMarvels' is a nice homage to Berkel slicers

http://www.emiliomiti.com/restaurant/slicers/

At a minimum, this website might help you by contacting that restorer directly

I have one of these on my wish lists...When I have space....

Edited by Opty (log)