• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melba Toast

Pam Brunning

I am serving a very soft scallop pâté which needs Melba toast or something crisp with it for a texture change. The trouble is every time I make Melba for a lot of people, because I leave it to the last minute and there is so much going on, I usually burn most of it! I never get evenly cooked toast anyway - I have tried fresh bread, stale bread you name it but it is still not good - any ideas out there?

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

Toast the bread lightly in the oven WITH the crusts.

Remove from oven, cut the crusts off, split each slice, stack and wrap loosely in paper towels until an hour before need.

Place toasts, "raw" side up and toast in pre-heated oven for 8 minutes at 350° F.

You may have to adjust oven time - convection ovens toast much faster.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett