• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hester Street Fair

weinoo

This past weekend was the inaugural one for the Hester Street Fair. Located at the far east end of Hester Street, where it intersects with Essex Street, in a lot that sat vacant for 5 decades, the fair is the brainchild of a number of community groups, residents and property owners.

Back in the late 1800's, Hester Street was pushcart paradise. That changed long ago. The Hester St. fair hopes to bring back a little of the energy and community spirit that existed "back in the day."

This weekend, you could get a taste of foods as diverse as Luke's Lobsters in the east village, Vietnamese from Orchant Street's An Choi, bagels from Montreal, freshly made omelets, shave ice, organic fresh pretzels, Virginia barbecue, French macarons and lots more. A varied cast is expected over the course of the summer and fall, and a green market will be opening on Sundays along Essex Street right outside the gates of the fair.

The fair will run every Saturday and Sunday, through early December. My full blog post about the fair is here.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Is there a full vendors list anywhere online? When I look on the site, all I find is an application to become one.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Is there a full vendors list anywhere online? When I look on the site, all I find is an application to become one.

I don't know if there's a full one anywhere...some of the vendors will be changing on a weekly basis. I'll see what I can find.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?