• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quenelle Spoon

ValM

I was wondering if there is a certain spoon or certain brand/type of spoon you guys use in your restaurant to make sorbet and ice cream quenelles.

Is there a perfect quenelle spoon?

At a restaurant I have worked for, there is one spoon that is guarded and used to make the quenelles. It is just a large spoon taken from someone's dining room set, but it is sturdy and a little thicker than a plain spoon and it makes very nice quenelles. If this spoon were lost however, it would mean back to the crummy cheap spoons.

I have asked Francisco Migoya, via his blog, what kind of spoon he uses, but he didn't respond.( The Quenelle.com )

I even wondered if a nonstick spoon would work better: Expensive Non Stick Spoon

I also thought about a spoon with dimples in it, like a golf ball or a sushi rice paddle, but those spoon do not exist.

There has to be a spoon that is best for quenelles. Million dollar idea...THE Quenelle Spoon.

Let me know if you guys have any input; thanks.

Nigella Lawson used to sell a set of measuring spoons that made great quenelle spoons because they have a deeper bowl than most tableware but not too deep. The set contains both a tablespoon (15 ml) size and a demi-tablespoon (10 ml) size. I usually use the smaller one.

I read somewhere that you can make the best Quenelle spoon by selecting a large spoon, cutting off the bowl part, turning it around, and reattaching it. Basically you turn the bowl around. Never tried it though.

Actually it was from Chef Francisco Migoya, as you can see from his facebook post:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=101320359884191

Edited by dhardy123 (log)

This is a question never far from my mind. I had a great quenelle spoon, 8 of them in fact, and they all got stolen. Since then its been a struggle to find ones I like. Either the bowl has weird angles or the stem is flimsy.

Right now I'm using Guy DeGrenne tablespoons (not measuring spoons, tableware). They work well enough, and they're not hard to find. They are pretty popular in NYC restaurants.

***UPDATE***

I have emailed Chef Migoya, and he was gracious enough to respond! In his email, he stated that he doesn't, "have a particular brand. It is more the shape that I am looking for."

He was kind enough to invite me to the CIA cafe for instruction. While I will not be in NYC anytime soon, Thank you Chef!

• 2 months later...

After much testing, I don't believe the Gray Kunz spoon makes the perfect quenelle. It makes more fat egg shaped quenelles, rather than beautiful longer quenelles. Any more suggestions?