• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

coconut macaroons

brokenscale

My uncle makes a coconut macaroon at his restaurant that I cant seem to replicate. Its golden and crunchy on the outside and moist and delicious on the inside. Also the mold he uses i cant find anywhere, but i can figure that part out after i get a recipe that works. He wont share the recipe with anyone. Even his pastry chef doesn't know how its made. He makes them himself. All the recipes i have tried leave it dry, more like a cookie...This is the one i tried yesterday...Any help would be appreciated

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 pkg coconut

3 tsp vanilla

bake on a well greased baking sheet at 325 degrees for 15-20 min and remove with a moistened spatula while hot cool on wire rack

i was reading about the history of macaroons on wiki. And i found some ideas that i want your opinion on as well. According to wiki, macaroon recipes are typically egg white based whipped to a soft peak. Also some evolutions are to put for example a raspberry jam in the center before baking. Another is to use potato starch to give them more body. Sounds like I am moving in the wrong direction all together.

the recipe i use is pretty much the same with the additions of 3/4 cup of all purpose flour. i also use almond extract instead of vanilla extract and 2 tspn at that.

and i bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes

the people i know liked the one without the egg white in it better.

Here is the recipe that I use and like best. Ignore the part where it tells you to preheat the oven at the beginning, cause you aren't going to bake them until the next day.