• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you get the best beef filet in London

Hi guys

I tried a quick search to no avail.

I am cooking a meal for a good friend on Friday and have left getting the meat too late.

Where can I go in London and get an EXCEPTIONAL fillet of beef (not Kobe please as that was last month and can't be doing that for a while)

I am willing to travel over London tomorrow or Wednesday, I was thinking something Dexter but alas I cannot find this.

Thanks for any help

Tony :)

Hi Tony,

I have not bought fillet but lots of other cuts from any of these guys but I would try Jack O, Shea at Selfridges, The Ginger Pig at Lauriston Road Hackney or Marylebone High Street, there is also a Ginger Pig at Borough Market but that is not open until Thursday I think.If you do go to Borough on Thursday there is also the wild beef stall.

Check out http//www.doshermanos.co.uk they always rave about Jack O'Shea, Jack also has a website

Too late now, but for the record my vote would be for Jack O'Shea either branch. or Moens in Clapham. There's also a butchers next door to Steve Hatt in Islington, and the organic butchers on Northcote Rd which are decent.

J

ps if you want kobe then moens sometimes stock kobe rump which at 30 odd quid a kilo is an absolute steal. also if jack o'shea gets good really marbled rib-eye in (he had some over xmas) it can almost go toe to toe with kobe rib-eye.

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!