• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Risotto al Barolo

Benjamin B

I want to cook some Risotto al Barolo but I can't really justify spending $50 on a bottle of Barolo right now.

What is a good substitute? I was thinking Barbaresco or Gattinara but I'd like to keep it to about $25 if possible and the cheapest Gattinara I can find is $37.

Also, Risotto al Barolo is usually served before the main course, so what is a suggested main course to follow?

I'm hoping to cook this dish this evening and dinner is in about 5 hours.

Help a fellow cook out with a little advice on the fly!

IMHO after a dish of Risotto, especially with an assertive wine flavor, I would go with a straightforward meat item like a veal chop or lamb with some veggies on the side. Second preference would be maybe a Veal Saltimbocca with some escarole or Rabe on the side.

“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”

W.C. Fields

Dorie Greenspan's veal chops with rosemary butter (recipe available on epicurious) was a wonderful (and actually quick, with some advance prep) meal tonight. I think it would be a delightful second course after your risotto. Green beans with a nice spritz of lemon, or a nice salad is a must as well.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/