• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gingered Pear and Tomato Marmalade

zoe b

Gingered Pear and Tomato Marmalade

I have a bumper crop of pears this year from an old pear tree--they don't have a lot of taste so I needed to find a way to jazz them up. I also have tons of green tomatoes so I decided to try combining them.

I used Anne Seranne's The Complete Book of Home Preserving for general guidelines--amounts, etc., and altered her recipes to suit what I had on hand.

• 2 lemons, thinly sliced
  • 2 oz ginger, fine dice
  • 2 lb sugar
  • 2 lb green tomatoes, in large dice
  • 2 lb pears, peeled, cored and in large dice

Place tomatoes, pears and ginger in a kettle with the sugar and leave overnight.

Add lemons, slowly bring to a boil and simmer uncovered until thick--about two hours. You can use the jelly test for this, but you'll know when it's thick enough. You might have to mash the fruit a bit to break it up.

Place in jars, pour some paraffin on top, place lids and give as a gift or enjoy yourself.

Keywords: Intermediate, Fruit, Condiment, American

( RG2046 )