• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

blackberry rhubarb "peachy" cobbler

hummingbirdkiss

blackberry rhubarb "peachy" cobbler

Serves 10 as Dessert.

No peaches in this recipe...but it is "peachy"

My mother in law from Oklahoma taught me how to make this cobbler ...it is so good and I have never seen it anywhere the way she made it outside of her state of OK ..hers she called "Peachy cobbler" and was made with peaches and cinnamon served it with Cool Whip ...the method is the same the flavors have changed...my recipe is a hybrid of what she showed me to do and what I do now ..

Oklahoma cobbler with a Pacific Nortwest twist

thank you Edith

3 1/2 cups AP flour

2 tsp Kosher salt

1/4 (heaping pinch for me) of fresh ground green cardamom

1/2 cup clean fresh lard ice cold

1/2 cup salted butter ice cold

1/2 cup ice water

in a food processor or by hand it does not matter with this recipe really because it is "rustic"

toss the flour, salt and cardamom ..mix it up then cut in the fats until there are no lumps bigger than a pea..lots of uneven lumps are good here!

then add the ice water ..all of it because you probably need more ..you want to make a just holding together rollable pastry out of this

quickly roll into about an inch or less thick rectangles flour the dough as you flip it to get it pretty even then wrap and chill while you toss together the filling and preheat your oven to 350 (I use convection so adjust accordingly on time and temp)

Filling

in a great big bowl toss together the following

6 cups of blackberries and 6 cups of rhubarb diced

3 cups sugar ..more or less (I like tart this was perfect because my fruits were nice and tart!) mixed with one finely ground vanilla bean (I tossed a dried bean into my spice grinder) and a good pinch of fresh ground cardamom (heaping 1/4 tsp)

6 tbp flour mashed with 6 tbl of salted butter to make a paste

...VIP leave areas where there are more berries pockets of butter paste and spots of sugar or more rhubarb on purpose so each piece tastes and feels different in the mouth! ..

roll out one rectangle of pastry and line the bottom of a 9 by 13 baking pan

put the fruit filling on top of that

then cut some messy lattice strips...the messier the better uneven ..thin and thick it is all good ..weave the top ..pinch the edges and brush with melted salted butter that has another pinch of cardamom in it

sprinkle with a really heavy amt of vanilla sugar

mine baked about an hour and 15min but just watch it when golden brown and bubbling out everywhere it is done!

to serve ..take a big serving spoon and smash through the crust then scoop it into a bowl and pour some heavy cream

or vanilla ice cream ..or minted whipped cream on top

enjoy

Keywords: Dessert, Fruit, Pie

( RG2006 )

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet