• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhubarb Custard Pie

pounce

Rhubarb Custard Pie

Serves 8 as Dessert.

My grandmother used to make this pie for me in the spring. I am copying it here from my late Grandmother's hand written recipe card. It's one of my favorites and I try to make as many as I can every season.

Rhubarb Custard Pie

• 4 c Rhubarb (Diced)
  • 3 Eggs
  • 3 T Milk
  • 1/4 c Flour
  • 2 c Sugar*
  • 3/4 tsp Nutmeg

*Use less sugar depending on your preference and tartness of Rhubarb.

Beat Eggs lightly and add the milk. Mix and stir in the sugar, flour and nutmeg. Mix in Rhubarb and pour into 9" pie crust. Bake at 400F for 50-60 minutes.

I generally try the get Rhubarb from the first part of the season where it is still thin and dark red. This helps with the look of the pie as Rhubarb from later in the season may not have as much color and your pie might look more green than red. I have made this with Rhubarb that has been frozen raw. It tastes just as good, but I find the texture better with fresh Rhubarb.

Keywords: Dessert, Pie

( RG1711 )

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.