• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flaky Pastry

jgarner53

Flaky Pastry

This recipe is based on a classic pastry recipe from my 1963 edition of the Good Housekeeping cookbook.

• 2-1/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 c shortening
  • 1/2 c cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 2 T cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 5 T cold water

Food processor:

Pulse flour and salt together briefly to combine. Add shortening and pulse about 10 times, in one-second bursts, until combined and no visible pieces of fat remain. Add butter (one stick plus 2 tablespoons) and pulse until pieces of butter are about the size of large peas (about 10-12 pulses). Sprinkle half of water over flour/fat mixture and pulse 2-3 times. Sprinkle remaining water over and pulse again. Dough should not come together in the bowl, but should hold together if you pick up a clump and squeeze it.

Dump dough out onto work surface and gather into a ball. Divide into two and wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Refrigerate one hour or up to two days before rolling out.

Hand method:

Using a pastry blender or two knives (something I could never get to work), stir together flour and salt. Add shortening and cut into flour until combined. Add butter and mix with pastry blender until pieces are the size of peas. Sprinkle water on one tablespoon at a time and toss with fork until dough begins to hold together.

Gather into a ball, divide in two, and wrap each half in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Refrigerate one hour or up to two days before rolling out.

Yield: Crust for one two-crust pie

( RG1404 )

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries