• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corny Bread

misstenacity

Corny Bread

Serves 6 as Side.

I made this corn bread when I was in the middle of making the "Bacon Chipotle Cornbread" from here on RecipeGullet and discovered that I was out of cornmeal. Eeek! However, it turned out great and fantastically moist, like savory corn cake.

• 1 T butter, salted
  • 1 10oz can of corn
  • 5 chipotle peppers (canned)
  • 1 egg
  • 3 strips bacon, cooked
  • 1 c flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1-1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 c buttermilk

Preheat an 8" iron skillet in the oven at 350 degrees. Add the butter to the skillet and leave it in the oven.

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Take the can of corn & its juice and blitz it in the blender with the buttermilk and egg. Add this to the dry ingredients and just barely combine. Then add the bacon and chipotle, and pour the whole thing into the skillet on top of the nicely browned butter.

Check after 20 minutes, but mine took about 25. It will be extremely moist and cake-like, nothing like the corn bread you've made from those blue Jiffy boxes. The salted butter seems to produce a nice crispy outer texture to the bread, so I specify salted butter rather than unsalted. You will be transformed into a corn bread eating machine.

Keywords: Side, Vegetables, Easy, Pork, Hot and Spicy, Tex-Mex

( RG1140 )

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!