• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding

chopjwu12

Does anyone know if there are ceremony sites available in NJ? I might have a place for the reception but i want an outside wedding somewhere nice. where i wanted it originally was a bit to expensive so i have to settle for second best. But like i said i want a really nice ceremony site. Does anyon ehave any information for me?

We've been to two very nice weddings at the Old Mill Inn in Spring Lake. Landscaped lake, lighted at night, outdoor grove for the rituals. Drinks on the deck, dinner inside. My wife, who is interested in such things, describes it as very reasonablly priced. I assume she's considering it for her next wedding reception.

There's another place just south of that (Jimmy Doolan's?) which was very elaborate. The only thing I recall is they used premium grade whiskey at the cocktail 3 hours...

Congratulations

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I had my wedding on Long Beach Island in Beach Haven at the Sea Shell Hotel. It was great, but if you already have a place for the reception there are a few gazebos and the beach on LBI or anywhere for that matter is nice, just check local regulations. There is an arboritum (sp) around Morristown that is nice and if you want to go North, Van Saun Park in Paramus has some nice locations.

good luck

fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

I had my wedding on Long Beach Island  in Beach Haven at the Sea Shell Hotel.  It was great, but if you already have a place for the reception there are a few gazebos and the beach on LBI or anywhere for that matter is nice, just check local regulations.  There is an arboritum (sp) around Morristown that is nice and if you want to go North, Van Saun Park in Paramus has some nice locations.

good luck

fink

Wow! I've got some fond memories of the Sea Shell that go back to the early 70s and throughout. let's just say that I was living a more libertine lifestyle back then. :wink::biggrin: I think I was still a Deadhead.

Thanx

Nick

The Mountain House in Princeton is great for a smaller wedding, maybe 80 people. The Westminster Boys Chorus in Princeton is beautiful, too...and I belierve you can bring your own caterer to both. Also. consider the Bed and Breakfasts in Lambertville ... I got married at a place called Goat Hill Farm, and while we had a very small wedding inside, there are lovely grounds ( not a farm..no goats! ) that can easilty accomodate tents and such. In re-reading your post more carefully ( sorry I missed the "outdoor" part last time) I see you are looking just for ceremony sites..that's easy. Pick the area you want, and contact the parks and recreation dept of that town..almost any good sized municipality has historic homes or parks that might meet your needs.

I know nothing about NJ, but congratulations and/or good luck, whichever you find most applicable. :biggrin:

Seriously, I wish you the best.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

There is an arboritum (sp) around Morristown that is nice and if you want to go North, Van Saun Park in Paramus has some nice locations.

good luck

fink

Good catch, Fink.

Frelinghuysen Arboretum in Morris Township has a lovely reception area, and definitely does weddings, but it would be a hike for chop and bride...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

We've been to two very nice weddings at the Old Mill Inn in Spring Lake. Landscaped lake, lighted at night, outdoor grove for the rituals. Drinks on the deck, dinner inside. My wife, who is interested in such things, describes it as very reasonablly priced. I assume she's considering it for her next wedding reception.

There's another place just south of that (Jimmy Doolan's?) which was very elaborate. The only thing I recall is they used premium grade whiskey at the cocktail 3 hours...

Congratulations

The Old Mill Inn's version of an outdoor wedding features a 20ft. wide swath of goose dropping covered grass between the restaurant's busy parking lot and the often scum covered lake. Yes, it is reasonably priced but you definitely get what you pay for.

The other place I believe mentioned is Mike Doolan's on Route 71 Spring Lake Heights. Not the greatest place but a little better than the Old Mill Inn for weddings.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com