• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas Sheet Cake

sherribabee

Texas Sheet Cake

Serves 20 as Dessert.

Texas Sheet Cake has always been a family favorite. A couple of years ago, I found this recipe in the Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2001 cookbook and decide to give a try. It immediately replaced the old family recipe -- it was a "healthier" and richer version. I've made a few tweaks to this recipe, which I've noted.

CAKE:

• cooking spray
  • 2 tsp all-purpose flour
  • 2 c all-purpose flour
  • 2 c granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt (I use table salt)
  • 3/4 c water
  • 1/2 c butter or stick margarine
  • 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 c lowfat buttermilk (I put a Tbsp. of white vinegar into a measuring cup and add enough skim milk to make 1/2 cup then let sit for a few minutes)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs

ICING:

• 6 T butter or stick margarine
  • 1/3 c fat-free milk
  • 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa
  • 3 c powdered sugar
  • 1/4 c chopped pecans, toasted (I've never toasted mine)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract

CAKE:

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Prepare 15"x10" jelly roll pan by spraying with cooking spray and dusting with 2Tbsp. flour (I use Wilton's Cake Release, as I think it's much easier and less messy than using cooking spray and flour). Set aside.

3. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

4. In a small saucepan, combine water, butter, cocoa and bring just to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and pour into flour mixture until well blended. Add "buttermilk," vanilla and eggs. Beat well.

5. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 375 for 17 minutes.

ICING:

1. In a small caucepan, combine butter, milk and cocoa and bring just to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and gradually stir in powdered sugar, pecans and vanilla [You could also all various extracts (like almond, mint, banana, etc.) or alcohols (like rum, brandy, etc.) at this point, although you may wish to omit the cinnamon in the cake recipe if you want to get creative with the flavors.]

2. Spread over HOT cake and cool completely on wire rack.

Keywords: Chocolate, Cake, Easy, Dessert

( RG1213 )

Sherri A. Jackson