• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peppery Green Tomato Corn Relish

lovebenton0

Peppery Green Tomato Corn Relish

This recipe is based on my childhood memories of grandma's green tomato/corn relish. But she lived on a corn farm in Ohio -- and I've been living and eating in TX for most of my life. So I've kicked it a couple notches on the heat scale. You can adjust that as you wish.

Serve with almost any meat.

Recipe can be divided easily based on your tomatoes.

Enjoy!

• 4 ears corn/kernels cut from cob
  • 1 large sweet yellow onion/diced
  • 4 cloves garlic/minced
  • 4 c green tomato/peeled and chopped
  • 2 c vinegar
  • 1-1/3 c sugar
  • 1/2 c water
  • 1 tsp each yellow and spicy mustard powder of your choice (or 1 Tbsp each if using prepared)
  • 2 habanero peppers/remove seeds and mince fine (or hot red pepper of your choice)
  • 4 hot banana peppers or jalapenoes/sliced thin and chopped (or your choice -- even milder peppers are OK if you want to tone it down -- about 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 tsp crushed dried red pepper
  • 1-1/2 T pickling or kosher salt
  • 2 T prepared horseradish (optional if you just can't stand it -- but it does add another layer to the relish)

Combine all ingredients in large pot except horseradish.

Bring to low boil over medium heat, occassionally stirring.

Simmer for about 45 minutes, occassionally stirring.

Add horseradish.

Stir well to insure horseradish is distributed throughout.

Simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.

Pack quickly into sterilized jars with sterile lids and bands.

I recommend 8 oz. jars.

Makes 6-8 half-pint jars.

Water bath for 5 minutes.

Cool and make sure the lids seal.

Allow to set for a few weeks at least.

Keywords: Condiment, Hot and Spicy, Vegan, American, Vegetables, Healthy Choices, Intermediate

( RG1151 )

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite