• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creamed Spinach 101

TrishCT

Creamed Spinach 101

From THE BEST: Creamed Spinach in NYC thread

My mother-in-law Joan is one of the best Yankee New England cooks I know, so I asked her about this since she makes it... She said "creamed" means a thickened cream/milk type sauce, i.e. creamed corn, creamed potatoes, etc... She said creaming can be thin, medium or thick, depending on the amount of cream/milk, butter and thickening agent used, and your personal preferences.

• 1 bag fresh spinach (cleaned and stemmed)or 1 box good quality frozen spinach
  • 1 c Milk
  • 1 T flour
  • 2 T butter
  • Salt & Pepper

1. Cook and thoroughly drain the spinach.

2. Over medium heat, melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour, strirring like a roux.

3. Add the milk gradually, stirring continuously.

4. When all the milk is added and the sauce is thickened, add the cooked spinach and stir to heat through. Add salt & pepper to taste.

Some variations... adding a dash of nutmeg, garlic, onions, shallots, etc...

Bon Appetit!

Keywords: American, Vegetables, Side

( RG322 )