• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creamy Reuben Soup

col klink

Creamy Reuben Soup

Serves 8 as Soup.

Care of Batgrrrl's father.

• 1/2 c onion, chopped
  • 1/4 c celery, chopped
  • 3 T butter
  • 1/4 c unsifted flour
  • 3 c water
  • 4 T beef bouillion
  • 3 c half and half
  • 12 oz Swiss cheese, shredded

1. in large saucepan cook onion and celery until tender

2. stir in flour until smooth

3. gradually stir in water and bouillion, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes

4 add corned beef, kraut, half and half, and 1 cup cheese

5. cook 30 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring frequently

6. ladle into 8 oven-proof bowls; top each with toasted bread and 1/2 cup cheese (they mean spread the cheese out over the eight bowls). Broil until the cheese melts (which happens very quickly).

Serve immediately.

Here are the tasting notes:

As read, this would be pretty stiff. I adjusted upwards at the kraut. I was more generous with the onion and celery--who is going to notice a quarter cup of anything, except maybe jalapenos? I used less water, and lots more bouillion, and added more bouillion still as it got stiffer. I used half and half, but another time back off to 2% milk, maybe. We came out with 3 of our duppa gritta bowls, ate two, and loved it.

Keywords: Soup, Lunch, Dinner, Easy

( RG210 )