• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popi Sid's Tuna Salad

Rachel Perlow

Popi Sid's Tuna Salad

Serves 4 as Appetizeror 2 as Main Dish.

Here's a link to the Yom Kippur, Break Fast thread, where this was originally posted.

• 1 6 oz can - Bumblebee Solid White Albacore tuna, preferabley water packed
  • 3 Slices of a medium size sweet onion, preferably Vidalia
  • 1/4 c Hellman's Mayonaise

Thoroughly drain the tuna, but don't rinse. Flake it out of the can and into a bowl, break up the bigger pieces, but not minced. Chop the onion pretty finely, about 1/8-1/4 inch pieces. When the onion was placed on top of the tuna it looked like a lot of onion to me, but "if it's a sweet enough onion that's OK." Add the three "not too big" spoons of Hellman's Mayonaise. "It must be Hellman's," he admonished "and not lite or low-fat or non-fat or any of that nonsense." Smoosh, fold and blend the ingredients for a minute or two, he kept mushing and mixing for longer than I would have.

It was really good tuna. And, when I tried to replicate it at home it didn't taste as good as his. I think he snuck in something else when I wasn't looking.

Keywords: Main Dish, Salad, Kosher, Easy, Seafood, Fish, Lunch, American

( RG168 )