• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St Thomas rum vacation

mikef

Upon arriving in St Thomas we picked up at the airport (for consumption in our hotel); Ron Abuelo Anejo (I liked, but my wife didn't - excellent aroma, smoky flavor) and Ron Barcelo Anejo (we both liked this one). Both were bargains at $8/bottle.

While there, I had the opportunity to try the Cruzan Single Barrel (yikes - $25/bottle!) and the Estate Diamond. IMHO, I preferred the Estate Diamond as I like something with more flavor. To bring home, we purchased the following (of which I have tasted only the Cruzan). I am kicking myself for not buying some Barbancourt 15 year old for $20, couldn't justify the price differential of the 5 star (maybe next time). For those of you who have traveled to the Caribbean, which islands offer the best selection of rums for purchase?

Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva ($15)

Barbancourt 5 Star ($9)

Brugal Extra Viejo ($8)

Ron Barcelo Gran Anejo ($10)

Appleton Estate Extra ($15)

Mount Gay Extra Old ($14)

Cruzan Estate Diamond ($12)

There are some bargains in St Thomas, but check the grocery stores as well as the numerous liquor stores. Don't feel bad about not buying the 15 yo Barbancourt, the 8 is one of my favorites but the older one doesn't seem to justify the fancy price. Don't overlook the Dominican Republic rums, Barcelo and Brugal available in St Thomas.

The best selection in the islands is St Maarten but if you are looking for French Caribbean rums then you will find better prices in Martinique and Guadeloupe.

And I have to agree with your comments about Estate Diamond, it is one of my favorites.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Actually, as someone who frequently spends more than $40 a bottle for superpremium rums (yeah, I like the french rhum vieux, what can I say) the Cruzan Single Barrel at $25 is one of the best values in rum today. Its certainly not a lot of money to spend when you consider superpremium vodkas go for over $30 and scotches way, way above that. It really is a high quality product.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host