• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The joy of a new nonstick skillet

Fat Guy

It's been a while since I got a new nonstick skillet. In particular, the 8" skillet I used all the time (and only) for eggs was really on its last legs. The other day my wife was at a discount store downtown (named, confusingly, Century 21) and they had a nice anodized aluminum nonstick skillet on clearance for $15. The brand is Oneida but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's made in the same factory in China that makes similar skillets for many other brands. It looks just like a piece of Calphalon or whatever.

So this morning I went to cook a fried egg in the thing.

I suppose one can make any skillet nonstick by adding enough fat. My old nonstick skillet, which probably lost its nonstick coating years ago, needed a sizable pat of butter to cook an egg in a nonstick fashion. I decided to try using the new nonstick skillet with no fat at all, just as a test.

It was really and truly possible to cook a fried egg in the thing with no fat at all. It was an amazing display of materials technology.

Now, an egg tastes better when cooked with some butter, so I'm not going to make a habit of attempting this stunt. But I'm just amazed at how nonstick this thing is. It's like, food really doesn't stick to it. That's the dream, people.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I bought an 8" non-stick skillet on Thursday to make blintz wrappers. I looked at the options and went for the least expensive - $6.95 (that's like . . 50 cents for you). It worked beautifully. I brushed the pan with oil for the first one, but then only brushed it after every 4-5 crepes. I probably didn't have to keep oiling it, because they all fell out of the pan but it was great. At that price I don't know why I hesitated. New nonstick = good.

It's been a while since I got a new nonstick skillet. In particular, the 8" skillet I used all the time (and only) for eggs was really on its last legs. The other day my wife was at a discount store downtown (named, confusingly, Century 21) and they had a nice anodized aluminum nonstick skillet on clearance for $15. The brand is Oneida but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's made in the same factory in China that makes similar skillets for many other brands. It looks just like a piece of Calphalon or whatever.

So this morning I went to cook a fried egg in the thing.

I suppose one can make any skillet nonstick by adding enough fat. My old nonstick skillet, which probably lost its nonstick coating years ago, needed a sizable pat of butter to cook an egg in a nonstick fashion. I decided to try using the new nonstick skillet with no fat at all, just as a test.

It was really and truly possible to cook a fried egg in the thing with no fat at all. It was an amazing display of materials technology.

Now, an egg tastes better when cooked with some butter, so I'm not going to make a habit of attempting this stunt. But I'm just amazed at how nonstick this thing is. It's like, food really doesn't stick to it. That's the dream, people.

I don't know where Oneida is manufactured these days, but they started life in Oneida, new York in 1880. I have had a set of their stainless steel flatware since the early '70s and am still fond of it, although they don't make the pattern any longer. Given that you only paid $15 for the pan, I'd say you got a bargain. Enjoy! (How come I can never find deals like this?)

This one said "Made in China" on the packaging. I don't know whether Oneida still makes anything in New York, but they didn't make this here.

Bargains like this are often available at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Tuesday Morning, Century 21 and stores of that ilk. They always seem to have a bunch of skillets in the housewares area.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)