• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

judging jamie oliver's g20 menu

Britain has gone into overdrive trying to impress Obama. After the gift giving debacle (Gordon Brown gives Obama fancy historical ancient pen signifying eternal friendship, he gives Brown DVDs that might not even work in a European player) and the 2007 incident where he stated that he doesn't like British food, Jamie Oliver has been brought in to cook British food only and make Obama like it, dammit.

To that end the menu for the big G20 dinner is as follows:

Starter: Organic Scottish salmon with samphire and sea kale, and a selection of vegetables from Sussex, Surrey and Kent.

Main course: Slow-roasted shoulder of Elwy Valley lamb with Jersey Royals, wild mushrooms and mint sauce.

Dessert: Bakewell tart and custard.

Vegetarian option: Goat's cheese starter followed by lovage and potato dumplings for the main course.

What do you all think? Obviously he had some restrictions - e.g. no pork because there are 3 leaders of Muslim countries at the table. The newspapers (well, the Guardian) is going into overdrive trying to anticipate Obama's response. Also, the charm offensive isn't limited to food - they've sat Michelle Obama next to JK Rowling in an attempt to earn the Obamas' affection.

Personally, I think the vegetarian options are a bit sad and uninspired. Also that Bakewell tart better be good because if it's not, it's going to be awful.

Sounds fine to me. First of the seasons Jersey royals is a fine choice. Not quite sure what Wild mushgrooms he is going to get this time of year? Morels maybe?

And don't call it dessert, call it pudding and suddenly it sounds perfect.

I love animals.

They are delicious.