• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outdoor cooking

stephen kember

Hi

I'm new and so I'm finding my way about at the moment; there really are some great posts all around the site but I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be anything focused on outdoor cooking and outdoor cooking equipment!

Have I missed something somewhere as this is my main area of interest. This an area where there is so much scope for invention and creativity and the range of equipment thats now on the market is huge and of ever improving quality and value.

Hopefully if there isn't anything with an outdoor focus this will start something of; if there is I'm sure some one will kick my but and say "open your eyes".

Happy outdoor cooking with the coming of the summer. :rolleyes:

Stephen

About The Author: Stephen Kember is an outdoor cooking enthusiast. He is the Proprietor of The Outdoor Cooking Equipment Store; you'll find his website at: The Outdoor Cooking Equipment Store. There you will find a comprehensive range of great value outdoor cooking equipment including: grills, stoves, stockpots, steamers, cookers, propane burners, deep fryers, Jambalaya kits, turkey fryers, fish cookers & grill accessories.

Hi

I'm new and so I'm finding my way about at the moment; there really are some great posts all around the site but I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be anything focused on outdoor cooking and outdoor cooking equipment!

Have I missed something somewhere as this is my main area of interest. This an area where there is so much scope for invention and creativity and the range of equipment thats now on the market is huge and of ever improving quality and value.

Hopefully if there isn't anything with an outdoor focus this will start something of; if there is I'm sure some one will kick my but and say "open your eyes".

Happy outdoor cooking with the coming of the summer. :rolleyes:

Stephen

I have never used, experienced the Caja China, but would love to, but I can't get myself to buy such a big roasting box and prep a huge pig no less just for the short summer in Western NY. This makes a meal for the entire neighborhod. It seems to be prevalent in the Cuban communities in the US to make Lechon Asado. It was featured on a Bobby Flay Throwdown episode and also on an After Hours with Daniel episode at Michy's in Miami. Who can resist crispy pork cracklings? There are several threads on egullet mentioning it.

Not quite outdoor only equipment, I just got a Thermapen, instant read thermometer. I took advantage of a discount deal (now expired) reported on a thread of my favorite forum. All I can say- I love it for the instantaneous read!

Hi

Welcome to eGullet, Steven! Here are a few topics on outdoor cooking equipment.

Grill Recommendations: Gas, charcoal, both? Merged topic.

Food Smokers: The Topic: What type to purchase?

Wok Burners: The Topic

Edited to add one more for the truly committed: Homemade Tandoor

Edited by C. sapidus (log)