• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb, et. al.

Calw

I am hosting a dinner party (14) and will be serving a roast lamb - sliced and resting on a morel risotto cake with fava beans and lamb jus. Does any one have a suggestion for a cut of meat that in one to 4 pieces can serve this many and can look nice when sliced and plated? I have seen some lovely photos (but can't of course find them now!) of lovely rectangular slices fanned over a sauce or starch. Anyone know what that may be or have a suggestion. I many times do a butterflied leg, but was looking for something more uniform in shape.

Now for the marinade. If I am doing a morel cake, would you rub the roast with a truffle honey - or would that just be one too many notes in the song? I want the fresh lamb to come through, but want something a little special. Thoughts?

How about two or three whole saddles of lamb? Should be enough to feed 14. It's a great cut for presentation, perfectly uniform and wonderfully tender. It'll be a real centrepiece. Really easy to stuff too, just choose a stuffing to go with the rest of the meal.

I am hosting a dinner party (14) and will be serving a roast lamb - sliced and resting on a morel risotto cake with fava beans and lamb jus.  Does any one have a suggestion for a cut of meat that in one to 4 pieces can serve this many and can look nice when sliced and plated?  I have seen some lovely photos (but can't of course find them now!) of lovely rectangular slices fanned over a sauce or starch.  Anyone know what that may be or have a suggestion.  I many times do a butterflied leg, but was looking for something more uniform in shape.

Now for the marinade.  If I am doing a morel cake, would you rub the roast with a truffle honey - or would that just be one too many notes in the song?  I want the fresh lamb to come through, but want something a little special.  Thoughts?

I would butterfly open a boneless shoulder and fill it with a nice lamb sausage. Maybe something with herbs to compliment the morels. Roll it up and tie it off. Slow roast it over a bed of onions. To serve, slice it into medallions and fan it over the starch or sauce. You will probably need one or two boneless shoulders, depending on portion size and the size of the lamb. I have done this in the past with great results. This is essentially a braise. I would skip on the marinade and let the lamb speak for itself.

I am hosting a dinner party (14) and will be serving a roast lamb - sliced and resting on a morel risotto cake with fava beans and lamb jus.  Does any one have a suggestion for a cut of meat that in one to 4 pieces can serve this many and can look nice when sliced and plated?  I have seen some lovely photos (but can't of course find them now!) of lovely rectangular slices fanned over a sauce or starch.  Anyone know what that may be or have a suggestion.  I many times do a butterflied leg, but was looking for something more uniform in shape.

Sounds like backstrap to me.(below)

They are small so roasting presents a new set of challenges.

Unlike almost every other cut of lamb they are very lean.

gallery_63420_6505_18381.jpg

Edited by Michael B (log)

Personally I'd go for leg. Tunnel boned and trussed. (use only the thigh bone portion for uniformity of slices. Keep all of the lower shank end for braised lamb shanks) Easy to roast and easy to carve. Carving for 14 is no mean task & takes a while so ease is important if you want to serve the meat hot.

For an interesting twist I'd season the lamb with anchovies. A few fillet in the cavity & a few laid into cuts on the outside surface. Salt, pepper & fresh rosemary. That's it! The anchovies give a delicious added flavor. I'll almost guarantee that none of your guests will identify what it is that's adding that nice flavor.

Personally I'd go for leg. Tunnel boned and trussed. (use only the thigh bone portion for uniformity of slices. Keep all of the lower shank end for braised lamb shanks) Easy to roast and easy to carve. Carving for 14 is no mean task & takes a while so ease is important if you want to serve the meat hot.

For an interesting twist I'd season the lamb with anchovies. A few fillet in the cavity & a few laid into cuts on the outside surface. Salt, pepper & fresh rosemary. That's it! The anchovies give a delicious added flavor. I'll almost guarantee that none of your guests will identify what it is that's adding that nice flavor.

Nobody ever picks anchovies if you use them the right way.

One important thing with a lamb leg is to remove the large lymph node while carving. Many people serve this. I don't like it.

My best recent technique with lamb legs is to warm ev olive oil with rosemary, and garlic to just under 100C then slowly brown the lamb in the pan before transferring to a 130C oven. The rosemary and garlic permeate the meat and the low temperatures give a very tender result.

One important thing with a lamb leg is to remove the large lymph node while carving. Many people serve this. I don't like it.

I presume you mean the the popliteal lymph node near the knee -- it doesn't bother me, but it's noticeable and gray and brings nothing to the party. The hardest aspect of a leg roast IMO is even cooking. Remove the bone, flatten it out and keep it ruby pink.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

In my opinion, the key thing to remember here is that you will be serving your lamb with a morel risotto. As such, I would avoid the stronger tasting pieces of lamb and go for fairly lean racks or loins. You can remove the extra fat yourself, this is where most of the stronger flavour will come from. With little fat, you will want to serve it medium rare to keep it juicy.

I usually like my lamb on the strong tasting side but I always found morels to be as delicious as they are delicate and therefore that they better complement lighter flavours.

Yep, that looks like it other than the grill lines. I'll have to try it this weekend - thanks.

Sounds like backstrap to me.(below)

They are small so roasting presents a new set of challenges.

Unlike almost every other cut of lamb they are very lean.