• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adventures of a new baker

Cameron Smith

Hey,

This is the last topic I will start in a while I promise. Here are my last 2 topics which I want to basically combine into this one. I keep starting new topics on new things I'm learning so this is supposed to simplify :biggrin:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=122075

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=121926

My question today is about soughdough starter. I am on day 3 or starting my own. How does it look?

bread013.jpg

bread015.jpg

I am on day 3. It doesn't rise a while lot but there in not much in there. Each day I throw out most of it and then add 1/2 c water and 1/2 c flour. It is sitting is a warm place. Just today it has started smelling much more 'yeasty.' Am I doing it right? Should it work to make bread with? When can I throw it into the fridge and quit feeding it for a while?

Also, after a few hours it looks watery below all the bubbles, what does that mean?

On a side, off topic, wrong forum note: Anyone ever grown herbs from seeds indoors? what was your technique?

thanks

Cameron

Edited by Cameron Smith (log)

I'm no expert, but it looks good to me considering it's day 3. The liquid is pretty common, and is called "hooch." Some people say to pour it off, some people say to mix it back in, some people say it's fine and some say it indicates a contamination.

Personally I don't know whether it's just water, or the byproduct of some microorganism, or a combination. Others can probably give more useful information.

I'm no expert, but it looks good to me considering it's day 3.  The liquid is pretty common, and is called "hooch."  Some people say to pour it off, some people say to mix it back in, some people say it's fine and some say it indicates a contamination. 

Personally I don't know whether it's just water, or the byproduct of some microorganism, or a combination.  Others can probably give more useful information.

thanks Mike, I always understood hooch to develop and rise to the top of a starter. I was a little confused to see this liquid underneath my bubbly top.