• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hazelnut Ganache

mostlylana

I want to do a hazelnut ganache for a molded chocolate - very smooth and soft - using hazelnut praline. Wybauw has recipes for both butter based and cream based hazelnut ganache. Has anyone tried either type of recipe? Comments? Thanks!

I want to do a hazelnut ganache for a molded chocolate - very smooth and soft - using hazelnut praline.  Wybauw has recipes for both butter based and cream based hazelnut ganache.  Has anyone tried either type of recipe?  Comments?  Thanks!

I don't have the Wybauw book and since almost no books supply recipes for gianduja, I just barged ahead and made my own using twice as much gianduja as cream, and then added chopped roasted hazelnuts (skinning the hazelnuts using those terrific directions supplied by you :wub: ).

It's a fairly soft ganache even with that much cream and then I dip it in 70% dark.

Not what you asked for, but what I have done. I am waiting to get back to Moab to get the Wybauw again through ILL and try his gianduja ganaches.

And THIS time, I am going to make some from scratch. :smile:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I want to do a hazelnut ganache for a molded chocolate - very smooth and soft - using hazelnut praline.  Wybauw has recipes for both butter based and cream based hazelnut ganache.  Has anyone tried either type of recipe?  Comments?  Thanks!

I use the Wybauw one. That's the 1:1:1 cream/chocolate/nut one right?

I've tried it with both praline and pure paste for the ganache. I like it best with the paste, it gives a nice deep nutty flavor that counterbalances the sweetness of the milk chocolate. Maybe the pure paste is a little worse from the AW point of view, but I like the taste better.

Either way, it is a soft and smooth center.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping to make it from paste and chocolate without having to make gianduja first. Ejw50, do you use any butter in your recipe? He has a few with cream and a few with butter but none with both. I guess I'll experiment and try a bunch of combinations.

**Just to finish up yesterday's post:

Made the ganache again

1/2 cream:1 milk chocolate Gianduja; big handful of roasted chopped hazelnuts.

The chocolate was not tempered. The resulting ganache sat overnight and is still very soft. Just stiff enough that I can cut it into squares of a sort and I can dip it in dark chocolate using a flat dipper. Or perhaps I should behave myself and bottom it first. Now that I know enough not to let it set up too firmly. Another learning experience.

End of story. :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks for the tips.  I was hoping to make it from paste and chocolate without having to make gianduja first.  Ejw50, do you use any butter in your recipe?  He has a few with cream and a few with butter but none with both.  I guess I'll experiment and try a bunch of combinations.

No, it's pretty much the recipe in Wybauw's book, except with paste instead of praline. I didn't make gianduja in the middle.