• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bouley

sickchangeup

The menu looks very complete (at least as of last Friday).  There's an "a la carte" menu with at least 6 options per course, and two tasting menus.  I can't imagine the menu is not complete at this point.  I do look forward to a return visit to see whether there are any changes (I hope not).

That is fewer appetizers and entrées than they formerly offered in the original location, and fewer than one normally finds at a restaurant with à la carte service. I am not saying they cannot operate that way, but my reaction on seeing it was that they were easing into the new space, and would eventually offer more.

Yes, but six in each category is more than acceptable, in my opinion. If anything, it's one of the things that attracts me to this menu.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Six, however, represents a 50% increase over the four in each category the restaurant first offered.

Exactly.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Six, however, represents a 50% increase over the four in each category the restaurant first offered.

Actually, there may have been more. The Chef's tasting menu looked so delicious that I really didn't pay that much attention to the "a la carte" menu. There were at least 6.

Yes, but six in each category is more than acceptable, in my opinion.  If anything, it's one of the things that attracts me to this menu.

I am struggling to comprehend why having fewer choices would make a restaurant more appealing.

As I mentioned upthread, there certainly are restaurants that operate successfully with just half-dozen apps & entrées, but it's undeniable that this is on the low side, and based on what Bouley has historically done, I would guess it is not the final total.

Yes, but six in each category is more than acceptable, in my opinion.  If anything, it's one of the things that attracts me to this menu.

I am struggling to comprehend why having fewer choices would make a restaurant more appealing.

As I mentioned upthread, there certainly are restaurants that operate successfully with just half-dozen apps & entrées, but it's undeniable that this is on the low side, and based on what Bouley has historically done, I would guess it is not the final total.

Yeah, but historically, Bouley has drawn very mixed reactions (not just for service, but food).

Sometimes (often?), the ability to choose (from a larger selection) comes with the price-tag of having to wade through and weed out superfluous, so-so, cheap punt, quota-filling dishes. I'm not saying that this was ever the case with Bouley; I simply haven't eaten there enough to say with any amount of certainty.

Of course, you're right, a shorter menu doesn't equate with a better menu. But, in my experience, a shorter menu is a more focused menu. All the extraneous "crap" dishes are dropped in favor of the better ones.

Of course, this is all for naught if half of those half a dozen dishes are improperly executed or conceptually faulty to begin with. But from the posters upthread, neither seem to be the case.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

i would prefer fewer choices in almost any case.

really i'd prefer great food in any case, but usually fewer choices equals better food.

really i'd prefer great food in any case, but usually fewer choices equals better food.

I am not sure what you're comparing it to, because Bouley currently is offering fewer choices than any comparable restaurant, and no one yet has suggested it is better than all of the comparable restaurants—JG or LeB, for instance.

I am not sure what you're comparing it to, because Bouley currently is offering fewer choices than any comparable restaurant, and no one yet has suggested it is better than all of the comparable restaurants—JG or LeB, for instance.

I've dined at both JG and Le Bernardin, and can easily recommend Bouley over both JG and Le Bernardin. I've always found both the decor and service a bit frosty at both JG and Le Bernardin. Food is also better at Bouley.

I've dined at both JG and Le Bernardin, and can easily recommend Bouley over both JG and Le Bernardin. I've always found both the decor and service a bit frosty at both JG and Le Bernardin. Food is also better at Bouley.

I ate at the old Bouley 8 times in 2007 as a "replacement for ADNY". I am also a regular customer at Le Bernardin and Jean Georges. There is no comparison: Jean Georges and Le Bernardin are just better restaurants, more consistent food, and superlative service. My one complaint at the old Bouley was that the low end service (the backwaiters, etc.) just couldn't compare to that at the

uptown restaurants. Also there is more variation on the menu at Jean Georges and Le Bernardin. I never felt that the menu changed at Bouley. Granted, I have not been to the new location of Bouley yet.

Why not compare it to itself?

That is, is the food at the new Bouley, with a shorter menu, better (in whatever terms you think of food being "better") than the food at the old Bouley, which had a longer (in my opinion, somewhat rambling), menu?

What I'm getting at is, in my experience with restaurants in general, a shorter menu often means that the food and kitchen are more focused.

I'm not saying that this is the case with the new Bouley. I merely stated above that the fact that the new Bouley has a shorter menu is more of an incentive than a deterrent for me to return.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I've dined at both JG and Le Bernardin, and can easily recommend Bouley over both JG and Le Bernardin.  I've always found both the decor and service a bit frosty at both JG and Le Bernardin.  Food is also better at Bouley.

How many visits is this based on?

At least half dozen visits to each restaurant.

• 1 month later...

It's funny that even Bruni acknowledges the lack of coverage this restaurant has gotten since opening. With that said, even after his review I can't say I got all that much out of it. OK, the desserts seem an unexpected bright spot. The egg-serrano dish is a good one. And... The review even felt a bit short to me.

I still want to go. In fact, I have a reservation for lunch tomorrow I made without even knowing Bruni was going to file today. But, like, is there that little to say?

Sorry, I know this is REALLY trite, but I can't bite my tongue any longer. Is it me, or is Bruni color weak? He described the pre-Tihany Daniel as "pastel" - I recall it being sumptuously red with a gold and ivory glow. Now he's describing the old Bouley as being "purplish pink" and "a gigantic magenta gumdrop." I recall it being blood red.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

It's funny that even Bruni acknowledges the lack of coverage this restaurant has gotten since opening.  With that said, even after his review I can't say I got all that much out of it.  OK, the desserts seem an unexpected bright spot.  The egg-serrano dish is a good one.  And...  The review even felt a bit short to me.

I still want to go.  In fact, I have a reservation for lunch tomorrow I made without even knowing Bruni was going to file today.  But, like, is there that little to say?

I totally agree - he seems short on the food description and long on the interior design.

I HOPE they don't send out all of those "chapters" of sweets out at once like last time. I felt like I was being shoved out the door; meanwhile, I had ice cream melting on four different plates.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

And I can't help but notice the similarity between the quartered "Chocolate Frivolous" and Iuzzini's "Four Play" presentation.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Sorry, I know this is REALLY trite, but I can't bite my tongue any longer. Is it me, or is Bruni color weak? He described the pre-Tihany Daniel as "pastel" - I recall it being sumptuously red with a gold and ivory glow. Now he's describing the old Bouley as being "purplish pink" and "a gigantic magenta gumdrop." I recall it being blood red.

I'd agree more with your blood red than the other two descriptions for the last version. Is he talking about the original?

Edited by mjc (log)

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

I totally agree - he seems short on the food description and long on the interior design.

In the paper, at least half the review is history, interior design and desserts before he even gets to the food, which seemed to me to be very superficially discussed for a 3 star restaurant.

In the paper, at least half the review is history, interior design and desserts before he even gets to the food, which seemed to me to be very superficially discussed for a 3 star restaurant.

Bruni has acknowledged elsewhere that reviews are more about the "story," given that most readers will never visit the restaurant. Also, it is not that long a menu. He focused on the more innovative dishes.

I guess I'm skeptical (not that I have any real reason to be). I've liked Bouley more than most for quite a few years. It was one of my formative fine-dining experiences back in the Bakery days. There's something that's nagging me such that I think everyone is missing out on the finer points of the experience and isn't reporting back accordingly.

Of course, this isn't the case and all this is the product of some delusion I'm holding. Really, I need to go and realize there really is that little to talk about. Nice, overly ornate room, good but unspectacular food, not too expensive but cheap by any means either.

Edited by BryanZ (log)