• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Pie

Pan

I thought there already was a "best pie" thread, but if so, I can't find it. Anyway, Thanksgiving is almost upon us, and I would like to get delicious sweet potato, pecan, and apple pies, preferably in the same place and preferably with the possibility of getting small pies for a couple of the varieties. I love Southern-style pies, and that's what I'm looking for for the holiday (those of you who remember Elyse's pecan pies will know what I mean). Where should I go? Either Manhattan or Brooklyn is fine.

Michael aka "Pan"

For the record, Two Little Red Hens' apple pie was a big hit, and I liked their pecan pie, too, but my brother correctly pointed out that its texture was slightly - I'm trying to find the word for it. Chalky? I mean, it tasted good, but it could have been better.

One thing is, Hens doesn't make sweet potato pie. Does Little Pie Company? They're somewhere on the West Side, I seem to recall?

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Sorry I missed this topic. I have long been a fan of Sweet Chef Southern Styles Bakery in Hamilton Heights, and their pies are also sold at West Side Market and Fairway. Or at least they were last time I bought one.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks for the recommendation, Fat Guy. I used to have a favorite place in Harlem, Better Krusts, Inc., on 138th St. and 7th Av., but I think someone in the family may have died (I hope not), because they just closed up shop one day, and that was that.

Michael aka "Pan"

Chalky crust you mean? It's all in the crust for me. I'm a crust meister.

I think Little Pie makes sweet potato.

They're in Grand Central, now, I think, and 43rd Street on the West Side.

I deeply studied pie until I could replicate the crust of my mother. Now I can, so I'm spoiled.

However, Pillsbury Ready Crust, is, in my opinion, better than 90% of most bakeries. They started formulating it with lard and it's not bad.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I actually meant the filling was slightly chalky, not the crust. I'm really talking about a slightly sub-optimal level of viscosity.

Michael aka "Pan"