• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Day Lunch or Dinner

We're thinking of spending a couple of days in London with my parents over Christmas. Can anyone suggest a venue for our Christmas meal?

We've been living abroad, so somewhere that does traditional with a twist would be nice - game, not turkey. Definitely British or French - it's not the day for a curry.

Assume cost isn't an issue, although it probably will be.

Extra marks if the venue is a hotel we can stay in at a not too ridiculous cost.

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.

I notice that Gordon Ramsay has his Claridges and Maze restaurants open (plus his pubs) for Christmas. Maze is also in a hotel - the Mariott Grosvenor Square.

It is tricky to tell which is open Christmas Day, but Claridges web site indicates they are doing both lunch and dinner - although dinner isn't in the restaurant. Lunch is £195 pp and it is turkey and goose.

We're thinking of spending a couple of days in London with my parents over Christmas. Can anyone suggest a venue for our Christmas meal?

We've been living abroad, so somewhere that does traditional with a twist would be nice - game, not turkey. Definitely British or French - it's not the day for a curry.

Assume cost isn't an issue, although it probably will be.

Extra marks if the venue is a hotel we can stay in at a not too ridiculous cost.

No suprises for guessing my favourite Christmas lunch: The Capital. But I doubt I get any prizes for travelodge pricing.

H