• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halibut Heads

Anna N

So I have been meaning to make some fish stock for my freezer for quite some time but fish parts are not easy to come by locally.

Today to my surprise the supermarket had halibut heads available and I grabbed about 2 lbs. But when I started to look for recipes for a fish stock, halibut heads seem to be a poor choice of ingredient!!

Before I waste both time and other ingredients making something that will not be good, I thought I would appeal to the experts here.

Did I waste my money already? :shock:

Many thanks.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I can't answer your question directly (sorry), but I have a question of my own. Why do you think halibut heads are a poor ingredient for fish stock? To my knowledge, the heads of any lean white fish (like halibut) are fine for stock.

I did a quick search on Google for "halibut heads fish stock" & found links for fish stock recipes that use halibut heads, not a problem.

I concur with dyjee, no reason not to use halibut heads. What you want to avoid are heads and bones from oily fish, like salmon, mackeral, bluefish, etc. Otherwise, any heads and bones from any white fish should work well. Among the flatfish, I would imagine a hefty halibut head might work slighty better than flounder, fluke, etc., but not dramatically so.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

. . . . But when I started to look for recipes for a fish stock, halibut heads seem to be a poor choice of ingredient!!

Is this because you couldn't find any, or was there someone who said to avoid them?

I've bought halibut heads in the past and been very pleased with the results when making stock. The fish guys here usually gut them and then cut steaks, heads and fins get bagged and sold for cheap.

As for the oily fish mentioned above, I've never tried to make a mackerel stock but Atlantic salmon - heads or otherwise - make for deep rich broth in my experience. At a wedding a couple of years ago I poached eight whole fish - five pounds each - and the resultant liquor was beyond description. Made a luscious pink chowder to feed a hundred.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I found a number of recipes that specifically said "not halibut heads"! The very first one I found was in a book I own by Bernard Clayton Jr. I quote:

"Not all fish bones make good stock. The bones and big heads of round fish do -- cod, red snapper, grouper, striped bass, haddock and others. Flat fish -- sole, flounder and halibut -- do not."

Then I googled fish stock and came across a number of recipes that suggested the frame of halibut was fine but not the head.

So I appreciate your responses suggesting that the halibut heads will be fine. I would still like to know, though, why others obviously have another opinion.

About to start my stock using the halibut heads. :smile:

Edited to add:

See, even Emeril says "no halibut (or any other) heads"!!!Fumet

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I wish you luck. I tried to do the fish head stock, and all it did was make me sick seeing those heads swimming in the water. But, okay. Then, even tasting the fish stock, it was inferior. (All of that work for nothing!).

I have banned fish stock from my kitchen. I use shrimp stock all of the time, and I use clam broth, but NEVER AGAIN will I do fish head stock. Life is too short.

Rhonda

An old article by Barbara Kafka says that the heads & bones of flatfish turn bitter with long cooking (more than 20 mins):

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C1A961958260

This article from the SF Chron says fish heads must be halved & flushed, with gills removed, before using in stock (in middle of article):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...1/FD0JSAGEJ.DTL

Edited by djyee100 (log)

An old article by Barbara Kafka says that the heads & bones of flatfish turn bitter with long cooking (more than 20 mins):

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C1A961958260

This article from the SF Chron says fish heads must be halved & flushed, with gills removed, before using in stock (in middle of article):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...1/FD0JSAGEJ.DTL

Thank you for these two references.

I am now having a good laugh at my own expense. Despite the label on the package "Fresh Fish Heads -- Halibut", when I opened the package there was nary a head to be found. Lovely, fleshy bones and tails but no heads. So my stock is now simmering away and I will not go longer than 30 minutes.

I have never before attempted a fish stock of this nature though I have often made a stock from hoarded shrimp shells.

I do appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.

My 2004 eG Blog

I wonder what it is about flatfish heads that makes them not the same, besides that whole migration of an eyeball across the skull during maturation thing.

Barbara Kafka is right to suggest 20 minutes is ample - I believe that goes for just about any fish.

Please let us know how it tastes!

Moe Sizlack

I wonder what it is about flatfish heads that makes them not the same, besides that whole migration of an eyeball across the skull during maturation thing.

Barbara Kafka is right to suggest 20 minutes is ample - I believe that goes for just about any fish.

Please let us know how it tastes!

It has a very pleasant, unfishy taste though it needs some salt which I will add when I use it as an ingredient. To me it is surprisingly gelatinous.

My 2004 eG Blog

I am now having a good laugh at my own expense.  Despite the label on the package "Fresh Fish Heads -- Halibut", when I opened the package there was nary a head to be found.  Lovely, fleshy bones and tails but no heads. 

:laugh::laugh:

I call this a good resolution. You didn't have to deal with fish heads, and we learned what to do if we ever make stock from fish heads.

I am now having a good laugh at my own expense.  Despite the label on the package "Fresh Fish Heads -- Halibut", when I opened the package there was nary a head to be found.  Lovely, fleshy bones and tails but no heads. 

:laugh::laugh:

I call this a good resolution. You didn't have to deal with fish heads, and we learned what to do if we ever make stock from fish heads.

Yes, and I have now totally recovered from fear of fish stock! I was afraid that my tiny house would smell fishy for days but the stock didn't even smell fishy when it was simmering. Guess it really was FRESH fish. Now to remember it is in the freezer and to use it within the next month!!

My 2004 eG Blog

Just as a general note. I always removes eyes lips and gills when making fish stock. The secret ingrediant is brevity. Fish head currys are great too.

Is it really worth the effort to remove those things? I've heard some say that gills can taste a bit off, but lips?

Moe Sizlack

I've used flatfish head and bones (not halibut) but the stock wasn't that flavorful. I was a bit dissapointed. My favorite for fish stock (other than shell fish) is cod. It consistantly turns out the best deep refleshing stock for me.