• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can Rochester support a real wine bar?

Ciao Ling

know that there are many lovers of wine if not oenophiles in the Rochester area. There are also wine events and we are in the heart of Fingerlakes wine country. That said, to my knowledge we have no true wine bar/restaurant (the most notable nearest would be best epitomized by Jamie Kennedy's in Toronto). New York has too many to count with Molto Mario even getting on the bandwagon with Joe Bastianich with Otto Enoteca & Pizzeria. A place to socialize and experience new wines, have small plates of excellent food, without having to have a formal dinner. True there are smaller establishments who have a selection of wines by the glass, but the food is an afterthought or the wines. Most importantly the vibe here seems to be either a "bar" or a "restaurant". Morrell wines in NYC has a wine bar with 2000 selections and 150 wines by the glass.We have the makings. Century Wines has now moved to new big digs in Pittsford under the umbrella of one of the Wegmans. Tastings restaurant is moving to new digs across from the Pittsford Wegmans. This would seem to be an opportunity. Gordon would probably know best of what's out there and any potential goings on.

There is a new wine bar opening Aug 1 in the village gate (old Fabrics & Findings spot) The opening has been pushed back a couple of times but it won't be long now.

Great! Any details?

Chef is Dan Martello fresh from a stint the NY Wine & Culinary center. Very solid chef, and their wine choices are pretty eclectic from the preliminary list I've seen. Nice price points

There is a new wine bar opening Aug 1 in the village gate (old Fabrics & Findings spot) The opening has been pushed back a couple of times but it won't be long now.

Great! Any details?

Chef is Dan Martello fresh from a stint the NY Wine & Culinary center. Very solid chef, and their wine choices are pretty eclectic from the preliminary list I've seen. Nice price points

Thanks for the tip. I googled and saw a City Newspaper blurb on the Good Luck restaurant. Not much on the website though. Will certainly try. I am also interested to see how the cocktail bar works out. Here's hoping that it will be Pegu Club quality.